Fire ravages 10,000-square foot home in northeast Harris County
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Fire officials are investigating what caused a vacant 10,000-square foot home to catch fire this morning.
Flames broke out at the home in the 7600 block of Serene Ave at Lee Rd, which is a little north of FM 1960, just before 3:30am. When fire crews arrived, they found flames shooting from the roof.
The disabled homeowner was not home at the time. Fire crews were able to keep the flames from spreading to surrounding homes.
"It had a beautiful winding staircase, balcony. It was spectacular," said the homeowner's cousin, Constance Williams. "This was his dream home that he built."
The $1.1 million home was devoured by flames. Williams say her son was yelling.
"'Mama, mama, mama, our cousin's house is on fire,'"said Williams.
"It's going to be a total loss," said. Lt. Chad Shaw with the Harris County Sheriff's Office. "The second floor roof has collapsed onto the first floor."
Williams says her cousin, who is confined to a wheelchair, was staying with his parents while he recovered from surgery.
"I thank God he wasn't in there because this would have been a total, total loss," she said.
She says the hard part comes now, showing her cousin what's left of his million dollar dream home.
"I don't think he is going to be ready to see what we are looking at," she said ""I don't think so."
Firefighters are still monitoring hot spots at the burned out home.
There were no reports of any injuries. The cause of the fire is under investigation.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, samica knight
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Violent House of Pies robbery linked to murder
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet 55 min ago
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- 'Bachelor' finale, plus see new 'Bachelorette'
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes
- Colorado collects $2 million in recreational pot taxes 52 min ago
- Four sent to hospital after gas leak at school
- Houston car thieves' wish list
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant