Fire ravages 10,000-square foot home in northeast Harris County
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Fire officials are investigating what caused a vacant 10,000-square foot home to catch fire this morning.
Flames broke out at the home in the 7600 block of Serene Ave at Lee Rd, which is a little north of FM 1960, just before 3:30am. When fire crews arrived, they found flames shooting from the roof.
The disabled homeowner was not home at the time. Fire crews were able to keep the flames from spreading to surrounding homes.
"It had a beautiful winding staircase, balcony. It was spectacular," said the homeowner's cousin, Constance Williams. "This was his dream home that he built."
The $1.1 million home was devoured by flames. Williams say her son was yelling.
"'Mama, mama, mama, our cousin's house is on fire,'"said Williams.
"It's going to be a total loss," said. Lt. Chad Shaw with the Harris County Sheriff's Office. "The second floor roof has collapsed onto the first floor."
Williams says her cousin, who is confined to a wheelchair, was staying with his parents while he recovered from surgery.
"I thank God he wasn't in there because this would have been a total, total loss," she said.
She says the hard part comes now, showing her cousin what's left of his million dollar dream home.
"I don't think he is going to be ready to see what we are looking at," she said ""I don't think so."
Firefighters are still monitoring hot spots at the burned out home.
There were no reports of any injuries. The cause of the fire is under investigation.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, samica knight
- Man shot outside restaurant drives family to safety
- Severe weather clears, leaves damage behind
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud
- Houston couple dead in apparent murder-suicide
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk
- Constable: Teen admits shooting out car windows
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado school dies
- Chase restricts cards affected by Target breach
- New Houston light rail line opens for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- Katy blows late lead, falls to Cedar Hill in title game
- Allen tops Pearland 63-28, defends 5A D-I title
- Aledo beats Brenham 38-10 for 4th title in 5 years
- Things you didn't know about reindeer