HSCO: Teen admits to accidentally shooting sister in NW Harris County
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Harris County investigators say a 17-year-old boy confessed to accidentally shooting his 16-year-old sister in northwest Harris County Tuesday.
It happened in the 1100 block of Ruellen. Authorities say after telling a couple of different stories, including the one that brought help to his home, the 17-year-old finally came clean.
"They were playing with the weapon and not knowing the mechanics of the weapon, accidentally shot her in the leg with a .45 caliber firearm," said Sgt. Eric Batton with the Harris County Sheriff's Office..
Having shot his 16-year-old sister, according to deputies, he then ran across the street to Francisco Gutierrez for help.
Gutierrez says the girl had a gunshot wound to her upper thigh. The boy told him she was the victim of a drive-by shooting and needed a phone to call 9-1-1. She was sitting in a chair on her front porch bleeding and deputies say her brother had already thrown the gun over the fence to get rid of it.
"He informed us what he did. We went and retrieved it, and we now have it in custody," Sgt. Batton said.
The girl was rushed to the hospital while her brother was questioned.
Gutierrez forgives the lies, saying the boy was scared. And while officers also seem empathetic, it's the attempted cover-up that now has him in trouble.
"He's very upset about it. He didn't mean to do it," Batton said.
The boy now faces a charge of filing a false police report but officers are also concerned about where he got that gun. Did he have it with him at school earlier in the day? That's just one of the questions they're still trying to answer.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, jessica willey
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- raw video: Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham'
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- David Tillman's weather forecast
9 min ago