HSCO: Teen admits to accidentally shooting sister in NW Harris County
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Harris County investigators say a 17-year-old boy confessed to accidentally shooting his 16-year-old sister in northwest Harris County Tuesday.
It happened in the 1100 block of Ruellen. Authorities say after telling a couple of different stories, including the one that brought help to his home, the 17-year-old finally came clean.
"They were playing with the weapon and not knowing the mechanics of the weapon, accidentally shot her in the leg with a .45 caliber firearm," said Sgt. Eric Batton with the Harris County Sheriff's Office..
Having shot his 16-year-old sister, according to deputies, he then ran across the street to Francisco Gutierrez for help.
Gutierrez says the girl had a gunshot wound to her upper thigh. The boy told him she was the victim of a drive-by shooting and needed a phone to call 9-1-1. She was sitting in a chair on her front porch bleeding and deputies say her brother had already thrown the gun over the fence to get rid of it.
"He informed us what he did. We went and retrieved it, and we now have it in custody," Sgt. Batton said.
The girl was rushed to the hospital while her brother was questioned.
Gutierrez forgives the lies, saying the boy was scared. And while officers also seem empathetic, it's the attempted cover-up that now has him in trouble.
"He's very upset about it. He didn't mean to do it," Batton said.
The boy now faces a charge of filing a false police report but officers are also concerned about where he got that gun. Did he have it with him at school earlier in the day? That's just one of the questions they're still trying to answer.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, jessica willey
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Road rage incident ends with shooting of girl
- Sugar Land man charged after Walmart lockdown
- Good Samaritans run over in SW Houston carjacking
- Miss America comes to the aid of suspended student 23 min ago
- Celebrate Easter with animals at Houston Zoo
- Local designer's cultural dolls big hit in Houston area
- Several dogs rescued, others die in NE Harris Co. fire
- Local church donates shoes to needy Haitians
- Nice weather for Easter!
- Officials bust meth lab inside million-dollar home
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- Landslide devouring Wyoming town