DEA agent opens fire during suspect's escape attempt
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A chase and shooting involving drug enforcement agents in northwest Harris County ended in arrests, and two kids were in a vehicle agents were chasing. It all took place around lunchtime along Veterans Memorial near Antoine and Beltway 8.
The driver of the SUV lost control after ramming into two vehicles at Veterans Memorial and Antoine. He went around them and lost control.
There were two toddlers in the back of the SUV, strapped into their child seats as the driver sped away from law enforcement.
The DEA says this all started a few blocks to the south in a Foodtown parking lot. We know this was a joint DEA task force, but they won't tell us exactly what they were doing in the parking lot. One member of that task force suffered minor injuries. The DEA says the suspect tried to run over him.
Harris County Sheriff's Deputy Thomas Gilliland said, "The vehicle struck a member of the task force, knocking him to the ground. At that point a member of the task force discharged their weapon, fearing for the safety of that agent, at the suspect vehicle. This vehicle then fled northbound."
It's not clear if the suspect was hit. The driver of the SUV fled northbound on Veterans Memorial, dodging cars. He actually rammed into two vehicles at the intersection of Veterans Memorial and Antoine.
Through all of this there were two toddlers in their car seats in the back of the vehicle. The SUV careened out of control after striking those two vehicles, and crashed into the median of Antoine at Veterans Memorial.
Eyewitnesses report watching a surreal scene unfold as law enforcement descended upon that SUV, smashing windows and pulling out two suspects, taking them into custody.
The two children were pulled to safety and reunited with relatives shortly after on the scene. It's not clear what relationship exists between the suspects and the children.
No one was seriously hurt, just the one law enforcement officer with minor injuries.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, kevin quinn
- Thieves slash bank customer's tire, nab purse
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident
- Most insane job interview ever
- Firetruck plows into LA-area cafe; 15 hurt 18 min ago
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church
- Lottery dates for 2015 Houston marathon announced 44 min ago
- German Shepherd called to jury duty in New Jersey 16 min ago
- Robber who was homesick for prison to be sentenced 2 min ago
- Fears rise for missing in SKorea ferry sinking 23 min ago
- All 'View' co-hosts will salute Barbara Walters 44 min ago
- Study: Diabetic heart attacks and strokes falling