DEA agent opens fire during suspect's escape attempt
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A chase and shooting involving drug enforcement agents in northwest Harris County ended in arrests, and two kids were in a vehicle agents were chasing. It all took place around lunchtime along Veterans Memorial near Antoine and Beltway 8.
The driver of the SUV lost control after ramming into two vehicles at Veterans Memorial and Antoine. He went around them and lost control.
There were two toddlers in the back of the SUV, strapped into their child seats as the driver sped away from law enforcement.
The DEA says this all started a few blocks to the south in a Foodtown parking lot. We know this was a joint DEA task force, but they won't tell us exactly what they were doing in the parking lot. One member of that task force suffered minor injuries. The DEA says the suspect tried to run over him.
Harris County Sheriff's Deputy Thomas Gilliland said, "The vehicle struck a member of the task force, knocking him to the ground. At that point a member of the task force discharged their weapon, fearing for the safety of that agent, at the suspect vehicle. This vehicle then fled northbound."
It's not clear if the suspect was hit. The driver of the SUV fled northbound on Veterans Memorial, dodging cars. He actually rammed into two vehicles at the intersection of Veterans Memorial and Antoine.
Through all of this there were two toddlers in their car seats in the back of the vehicle. The SUV careened out of control after striking those two vehicles, and crashed into the median of Antoine at Veterans Memorial.
Eyewitnesses report watching a surreal scene unfold as law enforcement descended upon that SUV, smashing windows and pulling out two suspects, taking them into custody.
The two children were pulled to safety and reunited with relatives shortly after on the scene. It's not clear what relationship exists between the suspects and the children.
No one was seriously hurt, just the one law enforcement officer with minor injuries.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, kevin quinn
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Burglary suspect watches sleeping toddler
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church 58 min ago
- Reward to nab Most Wanted sex offender climbs to $13K
- 5 plead guilty after immigrant stash house discovery
- Runoff to determine new Montgomery County judge 19 min ago
- Fire in wood shop fills middle school with smoke
- Case of missing teens solved after 43 years
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Fashion trucks take over downtown Houston
- Missing kid found stuck in coin-operated game
- Over the top promposal had cops in on the secret
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos