Clerk found dead inside store in north Harris County
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A store clerk was found shot to death inside a convenience store in northwest Harris County this morning.
Police became aware something was wrong around 2:45am at the Blue Bell corner store on Veterans Drive. A customer entered to find no one around. Deputies tell us that person left and 911 was called.
"A customer who routinely comes in comes in or has come in on a routine bases, comes in and doesn't see the clerk who greets her most of the time," said Sgt. Felipe Rivera with the Harris County Sheriff's Office. "She walked in and he was not there. She became suspicious when she didn't see him."
When deputies arrived, they found the store clerk, shot and killed behind the counter. They say the victim did have trauma to his body, but the extent of injury was not released.
People we spoke with this morning say they knew this clerk and that he was a very good person. They say he trusted everyone. Even after hours, he would unlock the store to let anyone in.
"He really just trusted too many people by coming in at night and opening the door," said one customer with whom we spoke.
Carolyn Smithers says they had known the clerk for a while. He used to work at another nearby store.
"He was a very nice man and I just pray for his family. If he had a wife and children, my heart goes out to them," said Smithers.
At this time, deputies believe robbery may have been the motive. They are now looking at surveillance cameras that were in the store that may have caught the shooting.
According to the sheriff's department, there are possibly two suspects involved in the deadly shooting. No other information regarding the suspects has been released so far. Investigators want anyone with information to call Crime Stoppers.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- raw video: Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham'