Thief targets women's purses during boot camp class in park
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Outdoor boot camps are a popular workout choice, but women need to be aware that crooks could be targeting what you're leaving behind in your cars. A group of women working out at Spotts Park found out the hard way, and even confronted the thief.
People who work out at the park in the Heights say there is always glass in this parking lot. According to Houston police, parks are one of the most common places for car thieves to hit.
While Annsley Popov was breaking a sweat at boot camp, someone in the parking lot was breaking into her car. The crook got away with her purse.
She said, "I had it hidden in the middle and it was under towels and a bag and umbrellas."
He came back five minutes later and was caught on camera. People working in an office building across the street noticed the break-in, snapped pictures and called 911 with a license plate number.
"I ran up to the car and started knocking on the back windshield and they started driving off," Popov recalled. "I was so mad that I kept on running toward the car, beating on the back windshield for them to give me my purse."
Officers nearby arrested the suspect, Don Wade, 34.
"If they're successful at one location, they're liable to keep coming back," explained HPD Officer Tim Woods.
"They had a few other purses that I had to go through and say if they were mine or not mine," Popov said.
She got all her stuff back.
"Had all my credit cards, even my cash still in it," she said.
And her pals won't be sweating about anything outside boot camp. From now on their purses will go, where they go.
"It was with me the whole time," Popov said.
Wade charged with burglary of a motor vehicle. He is due in court next week.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, sonia azad
- Case of swine flu confirmed in Montgomery County
- City slammed for deal with topless clubs
- Houston police gain powerful new weapon
- Man says found treasure should be his
- Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson off the show after gay remark 34 min ago
- W. Houston restaurant owners on edge after tire-slashing 49 min ago
- Siblings shot in domestic dispute in SW Houston 33 min ago
- Family scrambles to safety from burning home
- Police: Man fatally shoots wife in southeast Houston
- Blood test could offer early answer for kids with austim
- Mystery of the missing mink
- Bicyclist hit by minivan near park
- Parents sue city of Houston over daughter's death
- Family of Houston girl hopes for life-saving donation