Pasadena police looking for additional victims of alleged sexual predator accused of assaulting girl
PASADENA, TX (KTRK) -- Pasadena police arrested a man for allegedly sexually assaulting a child, and now they are looking for possible additional victims.
Frank James Distefano, 36, was behind bars Saturday with bond set at $30,000.
Distefano's arrest was the culmination of an investigation prompted by a mother's call to Pasadena police on August 25. The mother told investigators that her 10-year-old daughter had been sexually assaulted by a family friend.
It allegedly happened during the mother's birthday party, several weeks after he met the victim at her own birthday party.
Police said Distefano coaxed the victim upstairs to the bathroom by telling her that he had a present for her, since he had not gotten her anything for her birthday a few weeks earlier. That's when he reportedly placed a sleeping mask on her face, tied her hands behind her and placed a gag in her mouth.
According to police, the mother went looking for her daughter and found the bathroom door locked. Investigators said Distefano answered her, saying, "Just a minute." She could hear him rustling around before the door opened, officials said. He was allegedly holding a sleeping mask, and the victim appeared to be frightened.
Police said the suspect quickly walked out of the bathroom, went downstairs and left a short time later.
Detectives launched their investigation, during which they reportedly located other victims of Distefano.
Officials encourage anyone who may have information regarding additional victims to call PPD at 713-477-1221.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- HPD: Homeless man kills armed burglar
- Couple accusing neighbor of recording their bedroom
- Bicyclist dies after Montrose-area hit-and-run
- Dr. accused of writing 'whore' on woman's mirror 9 min ago
- 5 Things to Know for Today 1 min ago
- Texans vs. Jags on ABC13 Thursday night
- Officials: Texas teacher shot, killed in Benghazi
- Burning stolen truck missing $180,000 of tools
- Boy accused of setting mall fire, two others
- Can you say this tongue twister?
- SWAT standoff in SW Houston ends peacefully
- 'Polar Express' blowing across US
- More than 2 million passwords stolen
- Rare identical triplets born in California