Woman shot to death during argument at sports bar in north Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- An argument at a sports bar escalates into gunfire, leaving a woman dead and a killer on the run. Police say a man opened fire on the woman inside a north Houston sports bar, and they're reviewing video from neighboring businesses, hoping to catch the killer as he made his getaway.
Investigators are busy looking for the suspect who shot and killed a woman inside of the bar Monday night and then took off. About 50 people were inside at the time, but only a few who saw what happened stuck around afterwards.
According to witnesses who live next to the Las Palmas sports bar, a night at work turned deadly for one Houston woman. The suspect was caught on surveillance cameras nearby making his getaway, but not before he held that same gun to another man trying to stop him.
"The guy was trying to get away and the other guy, well, he backed over that guy's car and kept hitting that guy's car," said witness Doug Williams. "He put a gun in that guy's chest."
Police got the call for help just before 11pm Monday. When they arrived to the north Houston sports bar, they found the woman shot dead inside. Police say an altercation led up to the shooting, but they are still investigating how the suspect and victim knew each other.
HPD Sgt. T. Triplett said, "We're not for sure yet, maybe there was some type of relationship inside the bar. But we have a few good witnesses who actually stayed here who actually saw the shooting."
Police have not released details on the woman's identity, but Williams, who heard the gunshot, says he believes the young woman worked at the bar. He also says the man who tried to stop the suspect did everything he could to stop him but had to back away when his life was threatened.
"The guy was pretty brave trying to stop the shooter," Williams said.
As for the suspect, he was only described as a man in his high 20s to low 30s. He was driving what appears to be a two-tone Ford Explorer seen on surveillance video. Police are hoping anyone with information on this suspect comes forward. Police are also reviewing additional surveillance video from inside the bar.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- weather: Rain falling across our area
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Vigil held for teen shot in girl's bedroom
- Search expands for missing Rice U student
- Browns agree to deal with ex-Texan RB Tate
- Siblings rescued 8 hours after getting lost in woods
- Brawl breaks out at funeral home on Houston's south side
- Mega Millions jackpot swells to $400 million
- Motorcyclist dies in crash with wrecker
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Officers' body cameras raise privacy concerns
- Woman accused of punching 4-year-old, killing her
- Police investigating north Houston nightclub stabbing