Police: Man who says he was strung out on meth charged with aggravated assault
BAYTOWN, TX (KTRK) -- A Baytown man is facing charges after allegedly jumping into a woman's minivan, threatening her two young children and demanding money.
It happened back on June 14. Police say Dorothy Baker was out shopping with her two children, ages five and two. She started at a Kroger on North Alexander Drive in Baytown.
According to Baker, she noticed a man -- identified as Ismael Martinez, 53, of Baytown -- standing outside. Baker went into the store with her children and soon came back out and went across the street to a CVS pharmacy.
She again went inside with her children and came back out. When she left the parking lot, she says she noticed Martinez pop up from behind the third row of seats, demanding money and threatening to harm her children if she didn't comply.
According to court documents, Martinez told Baker where to go to get money. He told her one way to turn, but she turned the other way. At that point, Martinez reportedly jumped into the front passenger seat, putting his knife to Baker's throat. She fought back, trying to get the knife away from him.
She told police she tried to hit a pole, thinking if she wrecked, he'd be ejected. But because he was fighting over the steering wheel with her, she missed the pole.
Baker did manage to drive off into a field. She reportedly demanded that Martinez get out of her vehicle. He jumped out and ran in front of the minivan, at which point Baker reportedly hit the accelerator and ran over Martinez.
Martinez was taken by Life Flight to Memorial Hermann Hospital. When police were able to interview him, his story matched Baker's. According to court documents, he admitted to being on methamphetamines and said he wanted to buy more, but didn't have the money. He also says he had gotten into the vehicle at Kroger and rode with the woman and her two kids to the CVS.
Martinez is charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. No bond has been set in his case.
- Couple accusing neighbor of recording their bedroom
- Bicyclist dies after Montrose-area hit-and-run
- Dr. accused of harassing woman she calls 'whore'
- Your pocket change may be worth hundreds
- Texans vs. Jags on ABC13 Thursday night
- Man, woman found shot at Pearland-area home
- Company offering big reward for return of stolen truck
- Police searching for armed robbery suspect
- Bledsoe leads Suns to 97-88 win over Rockets
- Dad on trial for infant's beating death
- Woman falls through roof, rescued by firefighters
- Man finds his brother murdered in home
- Child killed by falling tree branch
- HPD: Cop impersonator shot man during struggle