Police: Man who says he was strung out on meth charged with aggravated assault
BAYTOWN, TX (KTRK) -- A Baytown man is facing charges after allegedly jumping into a woman's minivan, threatening her two young children and demanding money.
It happened back on June 14. Police say Dorothy Baker was out shopping with her two children, ages five and two. She started at a Kroger on North Alexander Drive in Baytown.
According to Baker, she noticed a man -- identified as Ismael Martinez, 53, of Baytown -- standing outside. Baker went into the store with her children and soon came back out and went across the street to a CVS pharmacy.
She again went inside with her children and came back out. When she left the parking lot, she says she noticed Martinez pop up from behind the third row of seats, demanding money and threatening to harm her children if she didn't comply.
According to court documents, Martinez told Baker where to go to get money. He told her one way to turn, but she turned the other way. At that point, Martinez reportedly jumped into the front passenger seat, putting his knife to Baker's throat. She fought back, trying to get the knife away from him.
She told police she tried to hit a pole, thinking if she wrecked, he'd be ejected. But because he was fighting over the steering wheel with her, she missed the pole.
Baker did manage to drive off into a field. She reportedly demanded that Martinez get out of her vehicle. He jumped out and ran in front of the minivan, at which point Baker reportedly hit the accelerator and ran over Martinez.
Martinez was taken by Life Flight to Memorial Hermann Hospital. When police were able to interview him, his story matched Baker's. According to court documents, he admitted to being on methamphetamines and said he wanted to buy more, but didn't have the money. He also says he had gotten into the vehicle at Kroger and rode with the woman and her two kids to the CVS.
Martinez is charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. No bond has been set in his case.
- Body pulled from rubble of burned down home 47 min ago
- Shots fired during SW Houston restaurant robbery 19 min ago
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Officer fatally shoots burglary suspect
- Photos: Home used in 'The Kardashians' for sale
- Prankster's good deed prank leads to tears of joy
- Save during spring break with freebies
- Comic book banned because it mentions Allah
- ESPN: Johnny Football signs multi-year deal 7 min ago
- Employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather 38 min ago
- Blind man survives fall onto subway tracks
- Recipes to make deep fried treats at home
- Fortune cookie lottery numbers scores NY woman a fortune
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos