School district's new parent visitation policy upsets some in Friendswood
FRIENDSWOOD, TX (KTRK) -- Friendswood ISD parents can no longer go to their child's school and have lunch whenever they want, and the same goes for parties in their child's classroom. It's a new policy that some parents are pretty upset about.
Parents say the district's new visitation policy has been a hot topic in this community. Some parents don't like it one bit. Others say it's all about students' safety.
It's just a few weeks into a new school year and there's a brand-new visitation policy that's upsetting some elementary school parents across Friendswood ISD.
Parent Christina Pollard said, "Basically, they are limiting the parents to one party per year."
Pollard is just one of the frustrated parents concerned this school district is now restricting the number of family members who can visit students during parties and special events on elementary campuses. Now only three parents can attend each classroom party.
Pollard said, "For me, it limits the amount of involvement I can have in my child's schooling."
Some parents are also upset the school is cracking down on the number of days a parent can have lunch on campus with their child -- from five days a week to now only three lunch periods. The district says safety concerns prompted the new rules.
Administrators who didn't want to go on camera told me that during the end of last year, the district did a survey looking at the number of unexpected visits on campuses. The district says the study showed that on any given day, one elementary campus received anywhere from 60 to 135 unexpected parent visitors, for lunch alone.
I believe that whatever we need to do to keep the kids safe at school," said parent Kim Rister.
The school district's spokeswoman says PTO representatives and campus safety teams recommended the changes to the superintendent. Some parents who don't like the new rules are planning a meeting to discuss their own recommendation on Thursday morning at the Friendswood Public Library.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
friendswood, local, demond fernandez
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston
- Vigil held for teen shot in girl's bedroom
- Suspect killed in home invasion in N. Harris Co.
- Frustration mounts for church members
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Raiders sign Texans' Antonio Smith
- Woman accused of punching 4-year-old, killing her
- Search continues for clues in women's murders
- Driver charged in deadly SXSW wreck
- Funny video from Jessica Willey's Colorado...
- Search for missing Malaysian jet expands
- Students, parents react after HISD vote
- Photos: Maroon 5 draws massive Rodeo crowd
- Richmond traffic stop leads to drug bust