Several candidates vying to succeed late DA Mike Anderson
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Mike Anderson's term began with his call to restore public trust the in the Harris County District Attorney's office. It ended less than nine months later with his unexpected death from cancer.
Work continues in the office. Belinda Hill, his first assistant, is now acting DA, as the names of possible successors have been growing. Among those mentioned by the local Republican Party:
- Judge Marc Carter
- Congressman and Former Judge Ted Poe
- Prosecutor Rachel Palmer
- Jim Leitner, first assistant to former DA Pat Lykos
- Belinda Hill, Mike Anderson's 1st assistant and former judge
- Devon Anderson, the late DA's widow who's been a prosecutor, judge, attorney and now the county GOP chairman's choice to succeed her husband.
Woodfill recommended Anderson by letter to the governor. The Houston Police Offier's Union wrote a letter of support for Belinda Hill. When the union's president, Ray Hunt, learned of Devon Anderson's interest, he told her, "In he event that Judge Hill isn't appointed, we will fully support you as well. And she said, 'Thank you very much,'" Hunt said.
It's Gov. Rick Perry's decision. His press office issued the following statement on Monday:
"We're still reviewing applications and conducting interviews. The governor will make his decision after a thorough review process."
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, deborah wrigley
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter 14 min ago
- Sugar Land man charged after Walmart lockdown
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck
- Liberty Co. judge, wife injured in head-on wreck
- Dogs dies in northeast Houston house fire
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation 12 min ago
- Landslide devouring Wyoming town
- 4 killed, 3 injured in wreck involving taxi in Pasadena
- TSU band heading to Canton with Michael Strahan
- More bodies recovered from sunken ferry
- Looks like perfect Easter Egg hunting weather
- Teen denies peeing in Oregon reservoir
- Special Olympian gets assist from Rice students
- 17-year-old fatally shot outside Katy-area strip center