Gov. Perry appoints widow Devon Anderson to succeed her late husband as Harris County DA
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Mike Anderson's term in the Harris County District Attorney's office ended less than nine months after it began, with his unexpected death from cancer. Now Gov. Rick Perry has appointed his widow, Devon Anderson of Bellaire, as his successor.
Belinda Hill, Mike's first assistant, has been acting DA. Devon's term will expire at the next general election.
"I'm looking for someone qualified, who shares Mike's vision and can run for election. She meets all those criteria," Harris County GOP Chair Jared Woodfill said.
Woodfill recommended Anderson by letter to the governor.
Anderson is an attorney and former partner of Anderson and Thomas PLLC. She is also former judge of the 177th Judicial District Court and a past assistant district attorney for Harris County. She is a member of the State Bar of Texas and Houston Bar Association, and president of the Harris County Drug Court Foundation. She is a past member of the Texas District and County Attorneys Association and Texas Association of Drug Court Professionals. She is also a volunteer for Houston Habitat for Humanity and the Bellaire Girls Softball Association.
Anderson received a bachelor's degree and a law degree from the University of Texas.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290
- Pickup rolls 6 times in northeast Harris County
- Man recovering after freak lawn-mowing accident
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case
- Student reports near abduction while leaving school
- Motorcyclist killed in NE Harris County wreck
- South Korean ferry boat captain arrested
- Texas officials say gang membership exceeds 100K
- Three accused of stealing items left on airplanes
- Promoters seek to bring back Galveston beach parties
- Key evidence recovered in double murder of Houston women
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston