Suspect fatally shot by police serving narcotics warrant
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Police say a man was fatally shot by an officer in his home in northeast Harris County, after he reportedly pulled a gun on authorities.
The shooting happened in 1600 block of Birchwood, near the Hardy Toll Road. At about 6am, Houston police officers were serving a narcotics warrant at the home. They arrived on the scene with a large SWAT command vehicle, employing lights, sirens and loudspeakers.
The suspect, a man in his late 40s or early 50s, was known to have weapons in the home, police say. The house also has a tall gate with a number of surveillance cameras.
Police say two teams approached the house, with one group breaking down the front door and another team breaking a back window of the home.
The suspect allegedly grabbed a gun and pointed it at an officer, and the officer opened fire. The man was taken to an area hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Harris County Sheriff's Deputy Thomas Gilliland said, "Officers did discharge their weapon at this individual, striking him."
"We just heard shotguns, and the kids said, let's lie down, let's lie on the floor," a neighbor said.
Police are continuing to search the premises as part of the ongoing investigation. The suspect's identity has not been released.
Authorities say Sr. Officer SJ Hamala, assigned to HPD's tactical division, fired the fatal shot. He will be assigned to three days of administrative duty during the investigation, as is protocol following an officer-involved shooting.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Burglary suspect watches sleeping toddler 22 min ago
- Fire in wood shop fills middle school with smoke 18 min ago
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Fashion trucks take over downtown Houston
- Missing kid found stuck in coin-operated game
- Over the top promposal had cops in on the secret
- VIRAL VIDEO: Kids try to use a Walkman
- How to lose the last 10 pounds
- Man killed while trying to cross North Freeway
- Missing stop sign blamed for accident in Montgomery Co.
- Ford to offer 50th anniversary Mustang