Suspect fatally shot by police serving narcotics warrant
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Police say a man was fatally shot by an officer in his home in northeast Harris County, after he reportedly pulled a gun on authorities.
The shooting happened in 1600 block of Birchwood, near the Hardy Toll Road. At about 6am, Houston police officers were serving a narcotics warrant at the home. They arrived on the scene with a large SWAT command vehicle, employing lights, sirens and loudspeakers.
The suspect, a man in his late 40s or early 50s, was known to have weapons in the home, police say. The house also has a tall gate with a number of surveillance cameras.
Police say two teams approached the house, with one group breaking down the front door and another team breaking a back window of the home.
The suspect allegedly grabbed a gun and pointed it at an officer, and the officer opened fire. The man was taken to an area hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Harris County Sheriff's Deputy Thomas Gilliland said, "Officers did discharge their weapon at this individual, striking him."
"We just heard shotguns, and the kids said, let's lie down, let's lie on the floor," a neighbor said.
Police are continuing to search the premises as part of the ongoing investigation. The suspect's identity has not been released.
Authorities say Sr. Officer SJ Hamala, assigned to HPD's tactical division, fired the fatal shot. He will be assigned to three days of administrative duty during the investigation, as is protocol following an officer-involved shooting.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Sketch released in murder of two Houston women
- Teen leads police on high-speed chase
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- North Texas family holds out hope for loved one
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Information on price tags decoded
- Naked murder suspect caught on camera punching officer
- Sandy Hook shooter's dad wishes son was never born 58 min ago
- Shopping for a wireless plan? Check here first
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- Battery dead? Use the virtual smartphone
- Counterfeit health and beauty products arrests in NY
- Peru: Van der Sloot to be extradited to US in 2038
- Kansas City-area spelling bee finally ends!