Devon Anderson sworn in as new Harris County DA
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Harris County's new District Attorney was sworn into office Thursday afternoon. Devon Anderson is taking over the job of her late husband, Mike Anderson.
In a one-on-one interview with Eyewitness News, Devon Anderson talked about the challenge of taking on the office her husband, left just weeks ago when he lost his battle with cancer at the age of 57.
She says she's ready, and her family is ready and feels she needs to go back to the office to which her husband was so dedicated; one he always hoped he'd return to despite his fight with his disease.
"Until the very end, he had hope. He's a fighter. He doesn't give up," she said. "A lot of people would just throw in the towel when they get a cancer diagnosis. He was not going to do that."
Anderson was appointed by Governor Rick Perry on Tuesday. She will be on the primary ballot in March.
She pledges to continue the work her husband started and makes a clear point that she is doing so with the help and support of Former Judge Belinda Hill, who was Mike Anderson's first assistant. Hill will continue to do the job of first assistant.
local, elissa rivas
- Dr. accused of harassing woman she calls 'whore' 31 min ago
- Man, woman found shot at Pearland-area home 21 min ago
- Dad on trial for infant's beating death 28 min ago
- Child killed by falling tree branch
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- ABC13 broacasting Texans vs. Jags game Thursday night
- Man finds his brother murdered in home
- HPD: Cop impersonator shot man during struggle 1 min ago
- Ohio murder suspect nabbed at Houston buffet restaurant 51 min ago
- Thief steals man's pants and shoots him
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations
- HISD school principal accused of shoplifting
- Search for Missouri fugitive moves to Houston
- Nude pics on Instagram lead to sex assault suspects