Devon Anderson sworn in as new Harris County DA
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Harris County's new District Attorney was sworn into office Thursday afternoon. Devon Anderson is taking over the job of her late husband, Mike Anderson.
In a one-on-one interview with Eyewitness News, Devon Anderson talked about the challenge of taking on the office her husband, left just weeks ago when he lost his battle with cancer at the age of 57.
She says she's ready, and her family is ready and feels she needs to go back to the office to which her husband was so dedicated; one he always hoped he'd return to despite his fight with his disease.
"Until the very end, he had hope. He's a fighter. He doesn't give up," she said. "A lot of people would just throw in the towel when they get a cancer diagnosis. He was not going to do that."
Anderson was appointed by Governor Rick Perry on Tuesday. She will be on the primary ballot in March.
She pledges to continue the work her husband started and makes a clear point that she is doing so with the help and support of Former Judge Belinda Hill, who was Mike Anderson's first assistant. Hill will continue to do the job of first assistant.
local, elissa rivas
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies 12 min ago
- Corvette driver killed by suspected drunk driver
- Fast food restaurant held up by armed suspects
- Oops! Noise complaint leads to drug bust
- Mom confesses to killing 3 young daughters
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side 13 min ago
- Jet makes emergency landing in Honolulu
- Pre-St. Pat's bash erupts into chaos
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game