Teen cut while trying to prevent abduction school bus stop
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A Westside High School freshman was cut with a knife Thursday morning when he helped fight off a man who was trying to abduct another student.
Police believe the suspect and the student he was attempting to abduct are related. Cecil Keith McClenan Jr., 52, is charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon as well as aggravated kidnapping. HISD Police took McClenan into custody on Thursday afternoon when he surrendered at the high school.
The incident occurred around 6:30am at a bus stop located at Waldemar and Bentworth. A group of students and neighbors rushed to help out a woman who apparently fainted moments after that attempted abduction.
Neighbor Julius Green said, "I'm just thinking, if it happens at the bus stop, it can happen anywhere."
According to witnesses, the suspect approached a female Westside High School senior at the bus stop wearing a mask. He then attempted to force her to leave with him. An HISD school bus arrived during the incident, and the driver sounded the horn and drove toward the man in an attempt to make him stop. At the same time, a 14-year-old male Westside student intervened and forced the man to let go of the female student. The male student suffered a cut to his arm in the process. The suspect then fled on foot.
The HISD bus driver radioed to his dispatcher, who summoned Houston police and an ambulance. The male student was taken to a nearby hospital, where he was treated and released.
"Man, this shouldn't be happening," Green said. "I'm worried. Neighbors are worried. You know, I have three daughters of my own."
"There needs to be more security," said neighbor Nahuma Holiday. "There needs to be more protection for these kids."
HISD has notified parents of the incident, and police will be closely monitoring the bus stop.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, demond fernandez
- Pickup rolls 6 times in northeast Harris County
- Man recovering after freak lawn-mowing accident
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston
- Fatal multi-vehicle wreck shuts down 290 at Grand Parkway 18 min ago
- South Korean ferry boat captain arrested
- Texas officials say gang membership exceeds 100K
- Three accused of stealing items left on airplanes
- Promoters seek to bring back Galveston beach parties
- Key evidence recovered in double murder of Houston women
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston
- Man allegedly seen on video during burglary charged
- Police: Man suffocated son so he could play video games