Sting operation lands 16 under arrest for prostitution
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Harris County deputies arrested 16 people accused of soliciting sex from prostitutes or being prostitutes themselves.
Investigators say a stretch of the North Freeway feeder road just south of the Beltway is one of two areas specifically targeted by the sheriff's department. The other is both sides of the Eastex feeder road just south of the Beltway.
People who work near the areas say crime is a big problem, and prostitution seems to be going on at virtually all hours of the day. "They walk to the Chevron and you see them getting picked up by truck drivers and all sorts of people," said Rachel Weaver, who works nearby. "I don't like it. It's degrading and I don't believe people do that for a living."
The sheriff's department plans more sting operations like this in the near future.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side 43 min ago
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin 57 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman in freak accident
- Boy buried by avalanche tried to bite his way out
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Trooper's wife killed when his gun accidentally discharged
- Toddler uses Facetime to get help for mom
- Ukraine PM: Won't give up 'single centimeter'
- Corvette driver killed by suspected drunk driver