Sting operation lands 16 under arrest for prostitution
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Harris County deputies arrested 16 people accused of soliciting sex from prostitutes or being prostitutes themselves.
Investigators say a stretch of the North Freeway feeder road just south of the Beltway is one of two areas specifically targeted by the sheriff's department. The other is both sides of the Eastex feeder road just south of the Beltway.
People who work near the areas say crime is a big problem, and prostitution seems to be going on at virtually all hours of the day. "They walk to the Chevron and you see them getting picked up by truck drivers and all sorts of people," said Rachel Weaver, who works nearby. "I don't like it. It's degrading and I don't believe people do that for a living."
The sheriff's department plans more sting operations like this in the near future.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Man collapses in street and dies in SW Houston 54 min ago
- Coyote's wild run through Hobby, but no roadrunner in sight
- Time Magazine names its Person of the Year
- Video from violent fast food robbery released
- Wreck causes fire in Tomball gas station parking lot 1 min ago
- Alcohol sales rules could change in Houston
- Mom accused of whipping girl with jump rope
- More Astrodome seats to go on sale today
- Spring woman accused of injuring elderly man
- Lombardi Award finalists hang with kids from TCH 6 min ago
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
- Marine's body sent home without heart
- Speed may be to blame for fatal accident
- 5 Things to Know for Today
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos