ID required to vote with new law
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The November election is right around the corner and this year a new state law means you'll have to show your ID before casting a ballot. The Harris County Clerk is kicking off a new effort to help voters remember the change.
November elections are a little more than two months away and this time around voters will be required at the polls to bring a photo ID, which could be problematic for some people.
As of right now, you'll be allowed to present seven forms of ID -- a Texas driver's license, a military ID, a concealed handgun license, a US citizen certificate, a US passport, DPS ID card and a Texas election ID certificate.
However, some groups, such as the elderly, may not have any of those photo IDs and could be turned away from voting at the polls.
Harris County Clerk Stan Stanart says they are aware of this potential problem and they think it should just be a minor issue.
"We can deal with a non-exact match, as long as it is a similar name. If you are going by Bill or William, that is not an issue for us," Stanart said. "Our election judges are being trained on how to deal with similar names."
The clerk's office is advising everyone to get their photo IDs squared away right now. They also added that anyone over 65 can vote by mail without an ID card.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, erik barajas
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into barber shop
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight
- Missing Malaysian Airlines flight changed course