Homeowner opens fire on burglary suspects in southeast Harris County
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Authorities say a homeowner fought back after three people burst into his southeast Harris County home, and now one person is dead in that burglary gone wrong.
It all unfolded shortly after 5pm at a home near the intersection of Cypress Meadows and Teal Lane.
Deputies are still talking to people, gathering information about what happened. We don't yet know the female suspect's identity, but they tell us she's a 47-year-old white woman.
Neighbors came home from work to see yellow tape crossing Cypress Meadows Drive.
"I think most people just want to go and work and come home and enjoy the house that they work for. And to know you have to worry about this is just sad," neighbor Andrew Tucker said.
On Thursday, they saw flashing lights and their neighbor being escorted down the street.
"At this point here, he said there are three strangers, forced entry into his house and robbed him at gunpoint," said Sgt. Ben Beall with the Harris County Sheriff's Office.
The 23-year-old homeowner fought back. Investigators say as the two men and a woman left his home, he grabbed his gun and shot at the suspected female burglar through the driver's side of the Nissan car she had driven there, killing her.
"I think every man has a right to protect his home," a nearby neighbor said.
The homeowner reported to detectives two men drove off in another vehicle.
"its a tough situation to be in. its not like you want to do anything to hurt anybody, but at the same time you have to protect your house," Tucker said.
And as neighbors watched from outside, some were seriously considering arming themselves, too.
"Just so we can be prepared for situations like this," Tucker said.
The two other burglary suspects managed to escape in a another vehicle, a green Chevy truck. Authorities are still searching for them.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, christine dobbyn
- weather: Storms moving through southeast Texas
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas
- Smash and grab burglar targets tattoo parlor
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Hail coming down in parts of viewing area 14 min ago
- TDCJ van carrying prisoners crashes near El Campo 11 min ago
- Armed robber was never told to report to prison 58 min ago
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident
- Couple dead in apparent murder-suicide
- 'Real Housewives' star Porsha Williams arrested
- Chip in at Chipotle for Discovery Green
- Most insane job interview ever
- Texas town recovering, year after deadly blast
- No sew: Create Easter tutus on the cheap
- Hail comes down in Stafford
29 min ago