Colombian national gets 21-year imprisonment for attempted robbery
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A 27-year-old Colombian national has been sentenced to 21 years behind bars for his role in the 2009 attempted robbery of a jewelry salesman and his guard.
Santos Diaz-Soto had already pleaded guilty in April to conspiracy, interference of commerce by robbery and brandishing of a firearm in furtherance of a violent crime.
Prosecutors say on September 11, 2009, Diaz-Soto and 28-year-old Gabriel Ocampo-Mayorquin approached the vehicle of a Louisiana jewelry salesman who had come to Houston to meet with local jewelers. When Ocampo-Mayorquin broke the car's window and an armed Diaz-Soto tried to rob the salesman, his guard -- an off-duty Texas Alcohol and Beverage Commission (TABC) officer -- opened fire, injuring both suspects. Three other accomplices -- Hugo Ortiz, 29, Juan Carlos Valencia, 30, and 26-year-old Osorio Pemberthy -- tried to flee the scene but were eventually identified and arrested by officers.
All five men were charged in the case, and all but Ocampo-Mayorquin have been arrested. A search for his whereabouts continues.
Meanwhile, Diaz-Soto will remain in custody pending transfer to a U.S. Bureau of Prisons facility that has yet to be determined.
Anyone with information regarding Ocampo-Mayorquin's whereabouts is urged to contact the Houston office of the FBI at (713) 693-5000 or their local FBI office.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster 11 min ago
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana 17 min ago
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Mark Kelly, twin brother enlisted for NASA study
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Will Justin Bieber be at Houston rodeo?