Colombian national gets 21-year imprisonment for attempted robbery
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A 27-year-old Colombian national has been sentenced to 21 years behind bars for his role in the 2009 attempted robbery of a jewelry salesman and his guard.
Santos Diaz-Soto had already pleaded guilty in April to conspiracy, interference of commerce by robbery and brandishing of a firearm in furtherance of a violent crime.
Prosecutors say on September 11, 2009, Diaz-Soto and 28-year-old Gabriel Ocampo-Mayorquin approached the vehicle of a Louisiana jewelry salesman who had come to Houston to meet with local jewelers. When Ocampo-Mayorquin broke the car's window and an armed Diaz-Soto tried to rob the salesman, his guard -- an off-duty Texas Alcohol and Beverage Commission (TABC) officer -- opened fire, injuring both suspects. Three other accomplices -- Hugo Ortiz, 29, Juan Carlos Valencia, 30, and 26-year-old Osorio Pemberthy -- tried to flee the scene but were eventually identified and arrested by officers.
All five men were charged in the case, and all but Ocampo-Mayorquin have been arrested. A search for his whereabouts continues.
Meanwhile, Diaz-Soto will remain in custody pending transfer to a U.S. Bureau of Prisons facility that has yet to be determined.
Anyone with information regarding Ocampo-Mayorquin's whereabouts is urged to contact the Houston office of the FBI at (713) 693-5000 or their local FBI office.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire 42 min ago
- Car slams into two homes in wild crash
- Brightening the holiday for underprivileged kids
- Seatbelt couldn't save teen's life in crash
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport 31 min ago
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach 50 min ago
- Bear cubs get loose at Houston Zoo
- SW Houston family loses puppy in overnight fire
- Boy, 10, dies after being trapped in snowbank
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates 30 min ago
- Serial killer missing after good behavior pass to see mom
- Three Webster officers go before judge today