Thieves target Boy Scout equipment from churches
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Most people head to church to pray and reflect, but a few show up to steal. Several churches in the Spring area have been hit by thieves over the last month and that has left Boy Scout troops faced with a loss.
Bridgett Lewis believed her Boy Scout troop's equipment would be safe at St. Timothy's Anglican Church. But thieves broke in, crawled past a statue of Jesus and stole four kayaks from Troop 78. At about $300 a kayak, the boys are out at least $1,200.
Lewis said, "We had to rent the kayaks that cost us several hundred dollars for the boys. Most of our activities are water related."
There seems to be a pattern in play. About half a mile down Louetta Road in Spring there was another break-in last weekend. A broken door has already been replaced after another Boy Scout troop located behind United Plymouth Church was broken into for a loss of thousands.
"Some very valuable bows, archery equipment were taken along with a telescope -- about $3,000 worth," said Kim Lindenfeld with Troop 1323.
Troop 1323 focuses on archery and participates in many events throughout the year.
It seems churches are the target in Spring. In the last four weeks, four churches have been hit, all within in mile of each other. Right now the Harris County Sheriff's Office has few leads.
"It's very low," said Lindenfeld. "I'm disgusted by it. I hope the people who are doing it are found and our things are recovered."
Both troops are planning to upgrade lighting and add cameras while police continue to investigate.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, erik barajas
- Gas station clerks shoot robbery suspect 18 min ago
- Browns agree to deal with ex-Texan RB Tate
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies 11 min ago
- One killed in head on collision with dump truck
- Search expands for missing Rice U student
- Siblings rescued 8 hours after getting lost in woods
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from hotel
- Teen arrested after allegedly racing illegally 27 min ago
- Brawl breaks out at funeral home on Houston's south side
- Mega Millions jackpot swells to $400 million
- Motorcyclist dies in crash with wrecker
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans