Teen who died in White Oak Bayou remembered at benefit
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- It was only last Saturday when heavy rains caused flooding in the state and at White Oak Bayou, it led to a tragedy.
An overturned truck was discovered in the water. Then three days later, the body of the man who had been driving the truck was recovered.
Family and friends of Eric Cabrera held a benefit Saturday afternoon at Vara's Sports Bar on the North Freeway.
Cabrera's body was found on Tuesday in the bayou, days after his vehicle flipped into the water during last Friday's heavy storms.
"We went to where he was found and he was just saying, 'Bye, daddy, bye,'" said family friend Michelle Perez, describing how Cabrera's son reacted. "It hurts us. He was just a real good dad."
Friends and family are raising money for Cabrera's funeral and for his two year old son.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool 25 min ago
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old
- Two injured when SUV drives into barber shop
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight
- Missing Malaysian Airlines flight changed course
- Neighbor helps nab fence-jumping burglary suspects