Shooting at Stafford car wash leaves three dead
STAFFORD, TX (KTRK) -- The Harris County Medical Examiner's office has confirmed that two more people died in a shooting at a Stafford car wash yesterday, bringing the number of victims to three.
The triple shooting happened around 10:15am Sunday at the Royal Wash in the 300 block of Avenue E.
The owner of the car wash was identified by authorities as 34-year-old Harvey Simmons. The other two victims were identified as 59-year-old Johnny Simmons, nephew of the owner, and 18-year-old Donntay Borom.
At the scene, friends and relatives held one another as they mourned.
"I've dealt with deaths, but not this close to me like this," said Steven Acklin, the uncle of one of the victims.
Those who know the business owner believe the shooting was a result of a personnel issue. They say employees were at the car wash as part of a special mobile job to wash cars in the VIP section at the Texans games when something went horribly wrong.
"His best friend said that he was supposed to come pick him up today from work when he got off," family friend Raquelle McClain said.
Acklin says he's friends with the owner, who he says had turned his rough upbringing around into a successful business and is often willing to hire young people and give them a chance.
"Worked his way up, had a nice clientele, washed very expensive cars. He's all over the Internet, building up his business," Acklin said.
The car wash was particularly busy for a Sunday but only for comforting and consoling of those hurting most.
"We just want them to find who did it and just get justice for him, his family, his daughter. Just take them off the street," McClain said.
Police are looking for 35-year-old La-Melvin Johnson and are calling him the primary suspect in this case. He was last seen driving a white Mercury Grand Marquee, a 1997 model year with license BS7-S618.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Rockets drop heartbreaker to Blazers in Game 1
- Woman killed in auto-pedestrian accident
- Girl, 3, injured in possible road rage shooting
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- After bombs, Boston Marathon under tight security 12 min ago
- Kraft recalling 96K pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck will be charged
- One man dead after carjacking in SW Houston
- John Paul's legacy stained by sex abuse scandal 15 min ago
- Video: Preparing for canonization of Popes John...
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight 19 min ago
- Car hits packed Florida church, injuring about 20 55 min ago
- Sleeping girl killed after car drives into home 42 min ago
- Police: Man pelted woman at egg decorating party 38 min ago