Shooting at Stafford car wash leaves three dead
STAFFORD, TX (KTRK) -- The Harris County Medical Examiner's office has confirmed that two more people died in a shooting at a Stafford car wash yesterday, bringing the number of victims to three.
The triple shooting happened around 10:15am Sunday at the Royal Wash in the 300 block of Avenue E.
The owner of the car wash was identified by authorities as 34-year-old Harvey Simmons. The other two victims were identified as 59-year-old Johnny Simmons, nephew of the owner, and 18-year-old Donntay Borom.
At the scene, friends and relatives held one another as they mourned.
"I've dealt with deaths, but not this close to me like this," said Steven Acklin, the uncle of one of the victims.
Those who know the business owner believe the shooting was a result of a personnel issue. They say employees were at the car wash as part of a special mobile job to wash cars in the VIP section at the Texans games when something went horribly wrong.
"His best friend said that he was supposed to come pick him up today from work when he got off," family friend Raquelle McClain said.
Acklin says he's friends with the owner, who he says had turned his rough upbringing around into a successful business and is often willing to hire young people and give them a chance.
"Worked his way up, had a nice clientele, washed very expensive cars. He's all over the Internet, building up his business," Acklin said.
The car wash was particularly busy for a Sunday but only for comforting and consoling of those hurting most.
"We just want them to find who did it and just get justice for him, his family, his daughter. Just take them off the street," McClain said.
Police are looking for 35-year-old La-Melvin Johnson and are calling him the primary suspect in this case. He was last seen driving a white Mercury Grand Marquee, a 1997 model year with license BS7-S618.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- weather: Rain moving through our area
- Gas station clerks shoot robbery suspect
- Helping military families, one child at a time
- Browns agree to deal with ex-Texan RB Tate
- Foster tweets he's been medically cleared to play 12 min ago
- Search for missing jet now includes 25 countries
- 3 pieces of evidence point to jet's takeover
- Wrong way driver dies after slamming into students' SUV
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Houston Ship Channel collision under investigation
- Sea survivor keeps promise he made to dead friend
- Daughter asks: Who did I bury?
- Crimea votes on whether to secede from Ukraine
- Police: Man lived with dead wife for days