Deputies: Road rage behind east Harris County wreck that killed mom, injured young son
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Deputies say road rage was the cause of a Sunday crash that killed a Baytown woman and injured her young son.
It happened just before 10:45am on FM 1942 near Garth. According to authorities, a man in a pickup truck was trying to run his wife's vehicle off of the road when he crashed into another silver sedan.
"I heard the roar of an engine, so I turned around and saw this truck lose control and start spinning sideways," witness Chris McCoy said.
The crash caused the car to burst into flames.
McCoy said he dropped what he was doing and rushed toward the crash. Inside the sedan, he saw a woman driver and a young child in the back seat. The little boy, he said, wasn't moving.
"I cut the baby from the seat. I took the baby. I was already on the phone with 911, and they instructed me to give the baby mouth-to-mouth," McCoy said.
By that time, paramedics had arrived. McCoy said he handed the baby over to them.
"At that point, I went back to try to get the mother out, but was advised not to," McCoy said. "Whatever it was in the truck, I guess it was bullets, started popping off, and everybody was told to clear the area."
McCoy said the woman never made it out of the car.
Sheriff's deputies confirmed the woman inside the car was killed, and her pre-school-age son suffered serious injuries. At last check, he was listed in critical condition at Memorial Hermann Hospital in the Texas Medical Center.
McCoy said he wishes he could have done more, but he was happy to hear the boy might survive.
"I have a 26-month-old, and that's all I could picture is my son sitting in that car seat," he said.
According to the Harris County Sheriff's Office, the man's wife said he was trying to force her off of the road because of a dispute between them.
No names have been released.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, simon gutierrez
- Bank-robbing dad gets 24 years in prison
- HPD: Homeless man kills armed burglar
- Dr. accused of writing 'whore' on woman's mirror
- Couple accusing neighbor of recording their bedroom
- Texans vs. Jags on ABC13 tonight 6 min ago
- Topless woman chases peeping tom through store
- Testimony continues in baby death trial 54 min ago
- Officials: Texas teacher shot, killed in Benghazi
- No charges for FSU QB accused of rape
- Burning stolen truck missing $180,000 of tools
- Fast food workers plan to again protest wages
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Can you say this tongue twister?
- Video: Beer is for more than just drinking!