Police: Man tried to lure child into van outside elementary school in The Heights
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- There's a stranger danger alert in The Heights after two kids reported being approached by the same man in a week.
Harvard Elementary School is in an ideal location for families who like to walk their kids to school. In a letter that the district said went out to parents Friday night, the principal is warning parents to keep a close eye on their children after a suspicious man tried to lure a child into a van Thursday.
"She's in pre-K," parent Kim Tegtmeier said of her daughter.
Tegtmeier's daughter Mia is four and a half years old and attends Harvard Elementary.
"You know, I don't think anything surprises me these days," Tegtmeier said. "You just have to be aware of your surroundings and take care of your kids and make sure they're safe."
The man was also spotted later outside of The Heights Library.
He is described as a white male in his 60s driving a white van with shades on the windows. He was seen carrying a red poncho.
We found a neighbor who thinks he saw him.
"If it's a white van with dark-colored windows, he sat there for a long time," James Grantham said.
Grantham has home security cameras and said he is reviewing his video to see if he recorded the man, who he claims looked out of place.
"He was just sitting there," Grantham said. "He didn't have any kids."
Houston ISD police and the Houston Police Department are working jointly on the case. They say they will have added patrols in the area to keep an eye on children.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, katie mccall
- Liberty Institute: Girl told not to read Bible in class
- Man shot four times in north Harris County
- Nurse recalls trying to save teen killed in wreck
- Joy ride turns tragic for Conroe teens
- Two dead in NW Houston nursing home shooting 6 min ago
- UH student robbed of phone on campus
- Harris County IDs suspects in meat market break-ins
- FedEx sued over deadly California bus crash
- IRS awards bonuses to 1,100 who owe back taxes 47 min ago
- Massive shark reeled in from Gulf
- Toddler flown to hospital after dog bit him in the face 41 min ago
- Woman says used car's sweet deal turned sour
- Volunteer fire chief dies while battling Brazoria Co. fire