HPD officer shoots stabbing suspect outside southwest Houston apartment
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- An on-duty Houston police officer shot a suspect Monday who allegedly charged at him while holding a shard of glass, officials said.
The incident happened round 8:30am at the Alexander Apartments on Gulfton Street at Rampart in southwest Houston.
According to police, Ofc. J.E. Draycott was called to a cutting or stabbing in progress at an apartment. When he arrived, he heard screaming inside the unit, and he saw a 25-year-old man break a window to get out.
Draycott reportedly told the screaming man to calm down, but police said the suspect was advancing on the officer with a shard of glass in his hand.
That's when Draycott, fearing for his safety, fired shots at the suspect, hitting him at least once.
The suspect continued to advance on the officer after he was shot, officials said. According to investigators, Draycott tripped while backing away from the suspect, falling and losing his gun. As the officer fell, the suspect reportedly jumped on him.
An EMS crew had just arrived at the scene. They pulled the suspect off of Draycott and took him to Ben Taub General Hospital. At last check, he was out of surgery and in critical condition.
The suspect's 20-year-old male roommate was transported to Ben Taub with stab wounds to the shoulder, abdomen and hands. It's unclear what led to the stabbing.
Draycott is a 28-year veteran of the Houston Police Department and is assigned to Southwest Patrol. Officials said he suffered cuts and scrapes, but he did not require hospitalization.
Please stay with Eyewitness News and abc13.com for updates as new details come into the newsroom.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- HISD schools may ditch Indian-themed mascots
- HISD principal, administrator arrested in Alabama
- Know the guy in this surveillance video?
- Vandals strike vehicles in Woodland Heights
- Backyard sinkhole nightmare finally ends 39 min ago
- Raw sewage seeping into Oak Forest homes
- HPD: Baybrook Mall employee abducted, raped
- 200lb generator stolen from man's driveway 6 min ago
- Video: Wade Phillips on life after Kubiak 25 min ago
- Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel named Heisman finalist
- Dad guilty of murder in daughter's death
- Toilet of the future changes how you ... sit
- Texas touts law protecting Christmas in schools
- Miley Cyrus is MTV's artist of the year 25 min ago
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
52 min ago