Freeport police shoot, kill suspect during gunfight
FREEPORT, TX (KTRK) -- Freeport police say a suspect was shot and killed during a gunfight with officers Tuesday evening.
Police received a call around 6:55pm about shots fired in the 700 block of West 6th Street. Officers responded to the scene, and as they were talking to witnesses, one of them pointed out the suspect's vehicle as it drove by.
Officers followed the vehicle to the intersection of Cedar and West 8th Street and ordered the suspect to show his hands but he refused. As officers opened the suspect's car door, he pointed a gun at them and opened fire.
At least three officers fired their guns back, and the suspect was shot and killed. None of the officers were injured.
The incident is being investigated by Brazoria County Sheriff's Office and the Texas Rangers, and the Freeport Police Department is assisting in the investigation.
Right now, police are not releasing the name of the suspect. He's been described only as a Hispanic male between the ages of 20 and 25.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Foul weather threatens to snarl US holiday travel
- Obama: '2014 can be a breakthrough year' 16 min ago
- FBISD approves new GPA-exempt courses 32 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1 7 min ago
- Santa sparks impromptu marriage ceremony 4 min ago
- Man tries to grab woman jogging on trail 9 min ago
- No charges for Harris Co. judge accused of falsifying records
- Elf on the Shelf stress hits some parents hard
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Seatbelt couldn't save teen's life in crash
- Brightening the holiday for underprivileged kids