Police: Teen girl fatally shoots man, claims self-defense
BAYTOWN, TX (KTRK) -- A 22-year-old man is dead after gunfire erupted in Baytown early this morning.
Baytown police say the victim, 22-year-old Dustin Head, was arguing with an acquaintance, who's been identified as 17-year-old Haley Korocy, at a home in the 700 block of Kilgore and Ward.
"I didn't have time to do it. I was so scared, I'd never been through something like this," the victim's sister, Brittni Head, said.
Brittni Head never thought her time with her baby brother, Dustin Head. She'd just received a call from him around 3am Wednesday, saying he'd been shot. Her only concern was getting him to the hospital.
Baytown police tell us it all happened when Head was at a friend's house and an argument broke out. That's when 17-year-old Haley Korocy, who lives at the home, grabbed a high-powered rifle and shot Head in the back.
Neighbor Mike Farmer was there. He says he was awoken with the sound of a gunshot and seconds later saw a man collapse in front of his house.
"And then an SUV had pulled from this way up to him, was yelling at him, 'Get in the car!' Something like they're going to call the cops or whatever," Farmer said.
Korocy has since told police it was in self defense.
"It's not self defense if you're arguing and you all are friends and you hit him first. How is it self defense if you hit him first?" Brittni Head said.
"How do they get their hands on this? I wanna know, I mean where's it stop? where's it stop at?" the victim's mom, Connie Head, said.
Police say Korocy admitted to pulling the trigger but says she didn't know she actually hit Head.
Korocy is currently in police custody, and police say they will be seeking murder charges.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Rockets road to the Finals begins tonight
- Girl, 3, injured in possible road rage shooting
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Woman killed in auto-pedestrian accident along Beltway feeder
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck wil be charged
- One man dead after carjacking in SW Houston
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck
- Miss America: Reconsider student's punishment
- Celebrate Easter with animals at Houston Zoo
- Local designer's cultural dolls big hit in Houston area
- Several dogs rescued, others die in NE Harris Co. fire
- Local church donates shoes to needy Haitians
- Moisture moves back with with rain chances rising