Police: Teen girl fatally shoots man, claims self-defense
BAYTOWN, TX (KTRK) -- A 22-year-old man is dead after gunfire erupted in Baytown early this morning.
Baytown police say the victim, 22-year-old Dustin Head, was arguing with an acquaintance, who's been identified as 17-year-old Haley Korocy, at a home in the 700 block of Kilgore and Ward.
"I didn't have time to do it. I was so scared, I'd never been through something like this," the victim's sister, Brittni Head, said.
Brittni Head never thought her time with her baby brother, Dustin Head. She'd just received a call from him around 3am Wednesday, saying he'd been shot. Her only concern was getting him to the hospital.
Baytown police tell us it all happened when Head was at a friend's house and an argument broke out. That's when 17-year-old Haley Korocy, who lives at the home, grabbed a high-powered rifle and shot Head in the back.
Neighbor Mike Farmer was there. He says he was awoken with the sound of a gunshot and seconds later saw a man collapse in front of his house.
"And then an SUV had pulled from this way up to him, was yelling at him, 'Get in the car!' Something like they're going to call the cops or whatever," Farmer said.
Korocy has since told police it was in self defense.
"It's not self defense if you're arguing and you all are friends and you hit him first. How is it self defense if you hit him first?" Brittni Head said.
"How do they get their hands on this? I wanna know, I mean where's it stop? where's it stop at?" the victim's mom, Connie Head, said.
Police say Korocy admitted to pulling the trigger but says she didn't know she actually hit Head.
Korocy is currently in police custody, and police say they will be seeking murder charges.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Body pulled from rubble of burned down home
- Shots fired during SW Houston restaurant robbery
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Officer fatally shoots burglary suspect
- Photos: Home used in 'The Kardashians' for sale
- Prankster's good deed prank leads to tears of joy 10 min ago
- Save during spring break with freebies
- Comic book banned because it mentions Allah 11 min ago
- Blind man survives fall onto subway tracks
- Fortune cookie lottery numbers scores NY woman a fortune 10 min ago
- Men sold Oreo trade secret to China 29 min ago
- Thousands of trees will be planted in Memorial Park today 11 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos