Cheerleader with Down Syndrome returns to the field
DEER PARK, TX (KTRK) -- A cheerleader in Deer Park is getting back to her squad after a dispute with the district. She has Down Syndrome and had been called a liability.
We told you about the story last month, and it made national headlines. Both sides have now worked out a deal so she can stay on the sidelines while the football team plays.
Brittany Davila, 16, is proud to be back on the sidelines with her cheer team. She's an honorary member of the squad, but she was sidelined after a recent volleyball game and told to cheer in the stands.
The district says it was a misunderstanding. Officials met with Brittany's mother and worked out an arrangement that includes Brittany cheering and meets the expectations of both the parents and the district.
"We admit there were some miscommunications but the fact that when we were finally able to meet with the family, everything was resolved in about five minutes, that really says a lot about how far apart we were," Deer Park ISD Spokesman Matt Lucas said.
Brittany knows many of the cheers, but she doesn't participate in stunts. She is considered a great part of the cheer team.
There is now a designated area for Brittany to be in while the other cheerleaders are performing stunts, and if she should feel she needs a break.
Her mother was in the stands taking photos as Brittany was back on the field, and she said it was a joy to see her back out there.
Bunny Davila said, "She was a little nervous when we were walking up here, but now that she's down there, she's in her groove, I guess."
From the sound of the chants, the clap of the palms, spirit came in high fives and adoring kisses to the crowd.
"She helps us stay on track if we are talking she's like get in line. She calls ready for us sometimes, practices with us and is so sweet," Deer Park cheerleader Sara Washington said. "She's perfect for this, this is what she was made to do."
District officials say they are proud to have this young lady involved in their cheer program and they look forward to her continued success as an honorary cheerleader. Brittany was also selected as a class representative for Homecoming.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
deer park, local, christine dobbyn
- Mom killed in SW Houston; husband wanted
- College student from Baytown fatally shot
- Kubiak era ends in Houston
- Shots fired during robbery on UH campus
- Icy storm sends Houston workers to help in North Texas 4 min ago
- Rice defeats Marshall in C-USA championship
- 4.5 magnitude earthquake rattles central Oklahoma
- Member of 2005 Astros World Series team returns 51 min ago
- Dog rescued from fire in Conroe
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks bombing anniversary 39 min ago
- Ice stalls sections of I-35 in North Texas 8 min ago
- US tourist and war vet, 85, free from NKorea 52 min ago
- Reindeer escapes from Santa at Colorado mall
- Photos: North Texas covered in ice and snow
- Winter ice storm moves north
25 min ago
- Fighting cancer like the common cold
22 min ago