Cheerleader with Down Syndrome returns to the field
DEER PARK, TX (KTRK) -- A cheerleader in Deer Park is getting back to her squad after a dispute with the district. She has Down Syndrome and had been called a liability.
We told you about the story last month, and it made national headlines. Both sides have now worked out a deal so she can stay on the sidelines while the football team plays.
Brittany Davila, 16, is proud to be back on the sidelines with her cheer team. She's an honorary member of the squad, but she was sidelined after a recent volleyball game and told to cheer in the stands.
The district says it was a misunderstanding. Officials met with Brittany's mother and worked out an arrangement that includes Brittany cheering and meets the expectations of both the parents and the district.
"We admit there were some miscommunications but the fact that when we were finally able to meet with the family, everything was resolved in about five minutes, that really says a lot about how far apart we were," Deer Park ISD Spokesman Matt Lucas said.
Brittany knows many of the cheers, but she doesn't participate in stunts. She is considered a great part of the cheer team.
There is now a designated area for Brittany to be in while the other cheerleaders are performing stunts, and if she should feel she needs a break.
Her mother was in the stands taking photos as Brittany was back on the field, and she said it was a joy to see her back out there.
Bunny Davila said, "She was a little nervous when we were walking up here, but now that she's down there, she's in her groove, I guess."
From the sound of the chants, the clap of the palms, spirit came in high fives and adoring kisses to the crowd.
"She helps us stay on track if we are talking she's like get in line. She calls ready for us sometimes, practices with us and is so sweet," Deer Park cheerleader Sara Washington said. "She's perfect for this, this is what she was made to do."
District officials say they are proud to have this young lady involved in their cheer program and they look forward to her continued success as an honorary cheerleader. Brittany was also selected as a class representative for Homecoming.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
deer park, local, christine dobbyn
- Outlet mall shoppers get Sunday scare 32 min ago
- Teen fatally shot remembered in service in Spring 55 min ago
- Car leaves gaping hole in apartment complex
- Record tied at RodeoHouston school art auction
- Crimea votes to secede from Ukraine
- US rejects Crimea vote, cites Russian intimidation
- Facebook campaign aims to save dog that mauled 4-year-old
- Last words from missing jet came after shutdown 34 min ago
- 3 pieces of evidence point to jet's takeover
- Foster tweets he's been medically cleared to play
- Wrong way driver dies after slamming into students' SUV
- Rockets fall to Heat for third straight loss
- Cavs join Gators, 'Cats, Shockers as No. 1 seeds
- HISD expanding dual language program
- 5TH WARD REVITAL
45 min ago