Teen opens fire, killing intruder in apparent home invasion
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A Fort Bend County teenager fought back Friday after two strangers broke into his home. One suspect is now dead and a second is on the run.
It happened at a home in the 17,000 block of Manchester Point Lane in the Mission Oaks neighborhood.
Those who call this neighborhood home say this was far from a normal Friday afternoon scene.
"To come home and see cop cars and yellow tape around the houses, it's kind of tragic," neighbor Austin Warren said.
Fort Bend County Sheriff's Office deputies were called to the home just after 3pm for a reported home invasion. Investigators said it's the home of veteran Houston police officer Ken Patmon.
Patmon's 18-year-old son was home alone when he heard a noise. There were two men pounding on the front door, but he didn't answer. They then went around to the back of the house.
Patmon said his son called him when the trouble started
"He called me and told me about it," the homeowner said. "Not long after that, two unknown suspects entered our home without permission."
The men allegedly forced their way inside, meeting the teen head-on.
"My son, trying to defend his home and himself, he discharged my firearm, striking one of the suspects," Patmon said.
The shot suspect died inside the home. The second suspect fled the scene.
"This is our home, and he's my son," Patmon said. "If I'm not there to protect him, we try to teach our children to do what's right, and I just thank God that he's OK."
"It's unfortunate that a life was taken, but at the same time, it's very fortunate that this guy had a way to defend himself," Warren said.
Deputies believe the second suspect took off in a dark blue Nissan Sentra. Anyone with information is asked to call Fort Bend County Crime Stoppers at 281-342-TIPS.
Patmon has been a Houston police officer for about 12 years. He works in the field training department. When asked if his son has considered going into law enforcement, he told us the teen is actually set to go into the U.S. Air Force.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, christine dobbyn
- Officer-involved shooting under investigation 7 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in elderly woman assault
- Smash-and-grab suspects lead police on chase
- Photos: 7 big brands that are struggling
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Video: Why ABC-13 anchors don't wear green on St....
- Mobile home fire claims life of one person in NE Houston
- Study to test 'chocolate' pills for heart health
- Earthquake strongly felt across Los Angeles
- Malaysia: Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last word
- Indianapolis Colts owner arrested for DWI 55 min ago
- Residents jump from windows to escape apartment fire
- Don't click on those Malaysia Airlines Facebook posts
- St. Patrick's Day traditions decoded