1 teen killed, 2 others injured in north Harris County crash
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- One teenager was dead Saturday and two others were injured after an overnight crash in north Harris County.
It happened just before 10pm Friday on Imperial Valley near Remington Valley.
According to Harris County Sheriff's Office investigators, Jean Carlos Coca was driving a 2005 Mazda Tribute SUV, and Manuel Gutierrez and Moises Juarez were passengers.
Deputies said Coca was traveling at around 80 mph in a 35-mph zone when he lost control. The SUV reportedly slid sideways, struck the curb in the center median and then flipped several times.
Both Coca and Gutierrez were ejected. Neither of them were wearing a seatbelt, officials said.
Coca died shortly after being transported to an area hospital. Investigators said Gutierrez remains in critical condition.
There are reports that there may have been other passengers who fled the scene of the crash. A driver who witnessed the accident stopped to help and told deputies the three teens ran off as soon as he started to dial 911.
One of those seen leaving the scene may have been Juarez. Officials said Juarez was transported by private vehicle to a local hospital.
Deputies later interviewed Juarez, who reportedly told them that Coca was drinking alcoholic beverages prior to the crash. Evidence at the scene suggested that alcohol may have been involved.
"Inside the vehicle, there is an open 12-pack of beer, so we do have indications that alcohol may be a factor in this crash," HCSO Sgt. S. Wolverton said.
This crash remains under investigation.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Smash and grab burglar targets tattoo parlor 2 min ago
- Teen reunites with family after found safe
- Thieves slash bank customer's tire, nab purse
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident 46 min ago
- Couple dead in apparent murder-suicide 12 min ago
- Most insane job interview ever
- No sew: Create Easter tutus on the cheap 36 min ago
- Firetruck plows into LA-area cafe; 15 hurt
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church
- Lottery dates for 2015 Houston marathon announced
- German Shepherd called to jury duty in New Jersey
- Robber who was homesick for prison to be sentenced
- Travis Herzog's Thursday weather forecast
21 min ago