1 teen killed, 2 others injured in north Harris County crash
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- One teenager was dead Saturday and two others were injured after an overnight crash in north Harris County.
It happened just before 10pm Friday on Imperial Valley near Remington Valley.
According to Harris County Sheriff's Office investigators, Jean Carlos Coca was driving a 2005 Mazda Tribute SUV, and Manuel Gutierrez and Moises Juarez were passengers.
Deputies said Coca was traveling at around 80 mph in a 35-mph zone when he lost control. The SUV reportedly slid sideways, struck the curb in the center median and then flipped several times.
Both Coca and Gutierrez were ejected. Neither of them were wearing a seatbelt, officials said.
Coca died shortly after being transported to an area hospital. Investigators said Gutierrez remains in critical condition.
There are reports that there may have been other passengers who fled the scene of the crash. A driver who witnessed the accident stopped to help and told deputies the three teens ran off as soon as he started to dial 911.
One of those seen leaving the scene may have been Juarez. Officials said Juarez was transported by private vehicle to a local hospital.
Deputies later interviewed Juarez, who reportedly told them that Coca was drinking alcoholic beverages prior to the crash. Evidence at the scene suggested that alcohol may have been involved.
"Inside the vehicle, there is an open 12-pack of beer, so we do have indications that alcohol may be a factor in this crash," HCSO Sgt. S. Wolverton said.
This crash remains under investigation.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- raw video: Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham'
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home