Alleged northwest Harris County hit-and-run driver followed by crash witness, arrested at his home
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- An alleged hit-and-run driver was in custody Saturday after a good Samaritan witnessed an accident and chased him down to get his license plate number in northwest Harris County.
It happened around 11pm Friday after a husband and wife had an argument in their car on FM 1960 at T.C. Jester. The woman reportedly decided to get out of the vehicle and walk, but she was hit when she tried to cross the road.
The driver who struck her fled.
But then, a bystander who saw it all happen jumped in to help.
"I heard a collision on the left of me, and the debris was going and I saw a body rolling," witness Cory Owens said. "I swerved over and heard her husband yelling, 'Hey, you, stop!' So I realized it was a hit-and-run, so I chased the driver down and got the tag number."
Owens then followed the hit-and-run driver for a mile and a half. The license plate number Owens got led deputies to the driver, and they arrested him at his home. Investigators said they don't believe he was drinking before the crash. He'll be charged with failure to stop and render aid.
We're told the woman was taken to Ben Taub General Hospital with a head injury. At last check, she was stable.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Smoke prompts IAH Terminal B evacuations 15 min ago
- Parts of Astrodome to be demolished 18 min ago
- Local post offices open Sundays for holiday rush
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- North Korea says Kim's uncle removed from power 1 min ago
- Mom killed in SW Houston; husband charged
- Wrecker driver shot in NE Houston
- 'Tips for Jesus' man leaves tips worth thousands
- Salvation Army ringer sets 105-hour record 53 min ago
- Officials find 11 dead whales in Florida Keys
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands 8 min ago
- NJ restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- North Texans dealing with ice storm aftermath 58 min ago
- Susan Boyle diagnosed with Asperger's
- Million Dog March protest held in Georgia
33 min ago