HPD joins social network for neighborhoods
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Social media now brings neighbors together across the City of Houston all year around. A new website and app called 'Nextdoor' can make it that much easier to stay 'in the know' when it comes to what's happening right where you live.
An estimated 400 Houston neighborhoods are already participating in 'Nextdoor' and now the Houston police department is joining forces with this new way to share information within neighborhoods.
'Nextdoor' is a free social networking website and app that is created by a neighborhood and is only accessible for residents who prove they live in that specific area. It allows neighbors to exchange information, whether it is advice, notifications, recommendations or even to inform residents of crime in the area.
Houston's Police Chief Charles McClelland announced his department will use these private websites and apps to increase and strengthen the relationships between people living in the participating neighborhoods and the department, to inform them on important matters.
"That the one raw product that we must have as a police agency to be successful is information," said Chief McClelland. "That information comes from the public."
"Nextdoor has been very attractive to the Woodland Heights, primarily because it has enabled our community to connect in a ways to make our families safer and more secure," said David Jordan with the Woodland Heights Civic Association.
Jordan gave an example of a woman who spotted a man stealing mail out of mailboxes. She quickly snapped a photo of the suspect and posted it on the website and within hours the Houston police department was able to track down that criminal and arrest him.
Just to name a few Houston neighborhoods already participating, that we easily located online, Woodland Heights, Southgate, Briarmeadow, Cherryhurst, Ridgewood.
These are just a few of those 400 neighborhoods already participating. The Woodland Heights has been participating for about 18 months.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Dr. accused of harassing woman she calls 'whore' 11 min ago
- Man, woman found shot at Pearland-area home 52 min ago
- Dad on trial for infant's beating death
- Child killed by falling tree branch
- Texans vs. Jags on ABC13 Thursday night 16 min ago
- Bicyclist killed in Montrose-area hit-and-run 6 min ago
- Woman falls through roof, rescued by firefighters 35 min ago
- Man finds his brother murdered in home
- Police searching for armed robbery suspect
- HPD: Cop impersonator shot man during struggle
- Ohio murder suspect nabbed at Houston buffet restaurant
- Thief steals man's pants and shoots him
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations
- HISD school principal accused of shoplifting