Pilot killed in ultralight crash near Santa Fe
SANTA FE, TX (KTRK) -- A pilot has been killed in an aircraft crash in Galveston County, in what officials are calling an awful accident.
It happened just after 11am near Santa Fe just off of Avenue C and 32nd Street. Authorities say it was the first real flight on the ultra-light for Roger Brown, 67.
The Department of Public Safety says he took off from his property just down the street. They say he'd just purchased the ultra-light a few weeks ago. He was the only occupant on board. Eyewitnesses say they saw him having trouble just before he crashed into the side of a pond.
"He kind of floated up and down, looked like he was trying to land somewhere," recalled eyewitness Petra Whitaker. "He floated up again, came down, went up one more time and then came straight down."
You could see the small aircraft snapped into pieces. The tail ripped off the frame.
Neighbors ran to try and help but Brown was deceased before they arrived. No one else was injured.
We attempted to speak to the man's family but they were, understandably, too emotional.
Investigators say Brown had some sort of radio equipment on board but the crash may have occurred too quickly for him to radio that he was in trouble.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, kevin quinn
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Sketch released in murder of women found dumped
- Murder suspect vomits during graphic testimony
- Teen leads police on high-speed chase
- Ex-teacher accused of sex with student
- No outings for Clear Lake drowning mom
- Two sent to hospital after gas leak at HISD middle school
- Suspect in violent House of Pies robbery charged
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Information on price tags decoded
- Naked murder suspect caught on camera punching officer
- McDonald's game plan to win back customers
- Sandy Hook shooter's dad wishes son was never born