Police say mom forced boy to walk home on freeway as punishment
LEAGUE CITY, TX (KTRK) -- A mother was arrested and is now facing charges after police say she kicked her son out of the car and told him to walk home as a punishment. The reason she was arrested was because of where that boy was left -- on the shoulder of a busy freeway.
League City police really want to talk to anyone who may have seen a young boy walking alongside the Gulf Freeway around 8:30pm Monday. Officers arrested his mom after one person called it in, but they believe many more people may have seen him.
"The freeway isn't the time to teach your child a lesson. The freeway is a dangerous place. This particular stretch of 45 has had several fatalities in the past month," said Officer Reagan Pena with the League City Police Department.
Police tell Eyewitness News 34-year-old Angela Graciela Garcia was arguing with her child when she forced him to get out of her 2013 Audi and start walking. The boy walked about 10 minutes in the dark before a passerby saw him and called police.
"She had driven away briefly but she was about 250 feet, but there was an incline so he actually had no idea if she had driven away," Pena said.
Garcia has been charged with abandoning or endangering a child and her bond set at $7,500. The boy and a sibling, who was in the Audi at the time, have been released to their father.
But police want to hear from more witnesses who saw the boy walking along the busy Gulf Freeway Monday night.
"A 10-year-old is not savvy enough to negotiate being on a major freeway, and so he truly was in danger," Pena said.
We talked to CPS, and was told they plan to follow up with the father in the coming days. The detective in the case plans to interview the children and the mom on Wednesday, but witness accounts may help them piece together exactly how long the boy was on the freeway.
If you think you saw him, you're urged to call Detective Grant at League City police.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
league city, local, adela uchida
- Sugar Land man charged after Walmart lockdown
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck
- Liberty Co. judge, wife injured in head-on wreck
- 4 killed, 3 injured in wreck involving taxi in Pasadena
- Dogs dies in northeast Houston house fire
- Landslide devouring Wyoming town
- TSU band heading to Canton with Michael Strahan
- More bodies recovered from sunken ferry
- Looks like perfect Easter Egg hunting weather
- Teen denies peeing in Oregon reservoir
- Special Olympian gets assist from Rice students
- 17-year-old fatally shot outside Katy-area strip center
- Hope this doesn't make you sick
- Authorities searching for sex assault fugitive