Northeast Harris County wreck kills one person, injures four others
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A deadly traffic crash in northeast Harris County killed one person, injured four others and shut down a major roadway during the busy evening commute.
It happened on FM 1960 over the Hardy Toll Road bridge and forced the closure of the roadway.
For many drivers, their commute home was slowed but they weren't sure why because they detoured around it.
"Right in the middle of rush hour so it's pretty hectic," driver Juan Estrada said.
"I just went around it but that's like a main artery," driver Bill Farwell said.
Six lanes had to be shut down while investigators did their work on the FM 1960 bridge over the Hardy Toll Road.
"Complainant's vehicle was traveling westbound in the correct lanes. As he saw the other vehicle approaching, he tried to take evasive action. At that time, they both had a head-on collision," Harris County Pct. 4 Lt. Walter Stinslen said.
Deputy constables say the driver of a Mustang lost control then skidded across six lanes, colliding with a landscaping truck head-on.
As drivers learned why their trip home took a little longer, they were thinking of those at the scene.
"It's a very tragic situation. I feel for the family," Estrada said.
Authorities say a female passenger in the white Mustang was killed and the male driver was transported via LifeFlight to Memorial Hermann Hospital. Three other people were transported by ground to seek treatment. The driver of the truck remained on scene.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- HPD: Fight between roommates ends in shooting
- Video from violent fast food robbery released 44 min ago
- Helping those left homeless by fire
- Man accused of leaving co-worker naked in ditch
- Time Magazine names its Person of the Year
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
- More Astrodome seats to go on sale today
- Female libido drug remains in limbo
- Mandela's body arrives for viewing in South Africa
- Cleveland ISD: Girl resisting officer hit with Taser
- Winning Mega Millions jackpot numbers drawn
- What's going to be built on Beacon Island?
- You can still save on Christmas gifts
- Special member of abc13 family passes away
- Man banned from Walmart for life
34 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos