Northeast Harris County wreck kills one person, injures four others
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A deadly traffic crash in northeast Harris County killed one person, injured four others and shut down a major roadway during the busy evening commute.
It happened on FM 1960 over the Hardy Toll Road bridge and forced the closure of the roadway.
For many drivers, their commute home was slowed but they weren't sure why because they detoured around it.
"Right in the middle of rush hour so it's pretty hectic," driver Juan Estrada said.
"I just went around it but that's like a main artery," driver Bill Farwell said.
Six lanes had to be shut down while investigators did their work on the FM 1960 bridge over the Hardy Toll Road.
"Complainant's vehicle was traveling westbound in the correct lanes. As he saw the other vehicle approaching, he tried to take evasive action. At that time, they both had a head-on collision," Harris County Pct. 4 Lt. Walter Stinslen said.
Deputy constables say the driver of a Mustang lost control then skidded across six lanes, colliding with a landscaping truck head-on.
As drivers learned why their trip home took a little longer, they were thinking of those at the scene.
"It's a very tragic situation. I feel for the family," Estrada said.
Authorities say a female passenger in the white Mustang was killed and the male driver was transported via LifeFlight to Memorial Hermann Hospital. Three other people were transported by ground to seek treatment. The driver of the truck remained on scene.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Outlet mall shoppers get Sunday scare 1 min ago
- Teen fatally shot remembered in service in Spring 23 min ago
- Car leaves gaping hole in apartment complex
- Record tied at RodeoHouston school art auction
- Crimea votes to secede from Ukraine
- US rejects Crimea vote, cites Russian intimidation
- Facebook campaign aims to save dog that mauled 4-year-old
- Last words from missing jet came after shutdown 2 min ago
- 3 pieces of evidence point to jet's takeover
- Foster tweets he's been medically cleared to play
- Wrong way driver dies after slamming into students' SUV
- Rockets fall to Heat for third straight loss
- Cavs join Gators, 'Cats, Shockers as No. 1 seeds
- HISD expanding dual language program 35 min ago
- 5TH WARD REVITAL
13 min ago