HFD releases photo of unknown man near southwest Houston motel fire that killed four firefighters
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The Houston Fire Department says it would like to speak to a man who was caught on surveillance camera the day of the southwest Houston motel fire that killed four firefighters.
HFD says the unidentified man in the photo is not a suspect, but detectives would like to speak to him as part of their investigation. He was seen between 11:45am and noon on May 31 near the Southwest Inn. They say he could provide much-needed answers.
"We do know that he was involved in the parking lot area in the early stages of the fire. There was some smoke when he was there. So if anyone knows anything, we would appreciate that information so we can have an opportunity to interview and find out what they know," HFD Capt. Ruy Lozano said.
The fire injured several firefighters and killed Capt. Matthew Renaud, 35, who had been with the department for 11 1/2 years; engineer operator Robert Bebee, 41, who joined almost 12 years ago; firefighter Robert Garner, 29, who joined the department 2 1/2 years ago; and Anne Sullivan, 24, a probationary firefighter who had graduated in April from the Houston Fire Department Academy.
Just last week, we learned that Garner and Anne Sullivan died after being pinned under something and became unable to breathe. They say Garner also had head trauma. Renaud and Robert Bebee both died from breathing in smoke. Bebee also suffered severe burns.
Investigators say it could be April 2014 before we learn the exact cause of the fire. The motel itself was demolished in August.
Anyone with information regarding the man's identity is asked to contact the Houston Fire Department at 713-551-2239 or 713-551-2244.
No other details were immediately available.
Stay with Eyewitness News for the latest details.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Couple accusing neighbor of recording their bedroom 4 min ago
- Bicyclist dies after Montrose-area hit-and-run 9 min ago
- Dr. accused of harassing woman she calls 'whore' 7 min ago
- Man, woman found shot at Pearland-area home 44 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Texans vs. Jags on ABC13 Thursday night
- Company offering big reward for return of stolen truck 11 min ago
- Dad on trial for infant's beating death
- Bledsoe leads Suns to 97-88 win over Rockets 27 min ago
- Woman falls through roof, rescued by firefighters
- Man finds his brother murdered in home
- Child killed by falling tree branch
- Police searching for armed robbery suspect 10 min ago
- HPD: Cop impersonator shot man during struggle