HFD releases photo of unknown man near southwest Houston motel fire that killed four firefighters
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The Houston Fire Department says it would like to speak to a man who was caught on surveillance camera the day of the southwest Houston motel fire that killed four firefighters.
HFD says the unidentified man in the photo is not a suspect, but detectives would like to speak to him as part of their investigation. He was seen between 11:45am and noon on May 31 near the Southwest Inn. They say he could provide much-needed answers.
"We do know that he was involved in the parking lot area in the early stages of the fire. There was some smoke when he was there. So if anyone knows anything, we would appreciate that information so we can have an opportunity to interview and find out what they know," HFD Capt. Ruy Lozano said.
The fire injured several firefighters and killed Capt. Matthew Renaud, 35, who had been with the department for 11 1/2 years; engineer operator Robert Bebee, 41, who joined almost 12 years ago; firefighter Robert Garner, 29, who joined the department 2 1/2 years ago; and Anne Sullivan, 24, a probationary firefighter who had graduated in April from the Houston Fire Department Academy.
Just last week, we learned that Garner and Anne Sullivan died after being pinned under something and became unable to breathe. They say Garner also had head trauma. Renaud and Robert Bebee both died from breathing in smoke. Bebee also suffered severe burns.
Investigators say it could be April 2014 before we learn the exact cause of the fire. The motel itself was demolished in August.
Anyone with information regarding the man's identity is asked to contact the Houston Fire Department at 713-551-2239 or 713-551-2244.
No other details were immediately available.
Stay with Eyewitness News for the latest details.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- raw video: Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham'
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home