Two-alarm fire damages apartments in NW Harris County
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A Houston firefighter is recovering and residents are looking for a new place to live after a two-alarm fire ripped through a northwest side apartment complex.
The fire broke out around 2am at the complex on Jones Road and Steeplechase.
"When I first woke up, it was kind of a panic because I didn't know what was going on and somebody was in my house shaking me," said one resident with whom we spoke.
The residents of these 12 apartment units say they lost everything after the fire ripped through their building at the Reserve at Steeplechase Apartments.
"I had to like carry my brothers out to that dumpster over there because they weren't waking up," said fire victim Justin Foster.
Residents say it was frightening watching everything burn up.
"I was just hoping it would stop before it came to my house," a young girl who lives at the complex said.
For this young girl, she says this is the second time her home has caught fire. This time though it is much worse.
"We had last summer, we had a house fire but it was only smoke damage," she said. "It hasn't been as bad as this and he's pretty shocked."
One firefighter was injured when the second story of a unit fell through. He was treated and is OK.
Luckily for the residents, fire investigators were able to locate everyone who lived there and make sure they were out of harms way.
The Red Cross is on the scene to help displaced residents.
Fire investigators say they believe a discarded cigarette is to blame for the fire.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston 2 min ago
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston 15 min ago
- Man allegedly seen on video during burglary charged 8 min ago
- It's Free Stuff Friday!
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico 10 min ago
- Man avoids $525 fine for soda refill
- Two people inside parked car shot, one fatally
- Twin boys fight off carjacker in San Antonio
- Woman forgives son's killer at the gallows
- Chipotle plans first price hike in 3 years
- Use natural dyes to decorate Easter eggs
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain
- Michaels confirms breach of as many as 2.6M cards
- Travis Herzog's midday weather forecast
8 min ago