Two-alarm fire damages apartments in NW Harris County
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A Houston firefighter is recovering and residents are looking for a new place to live after a two-alarm fire ripped through a northwest side apartment complex.
The fire broke out around 2am at the complex on Jones Road and Steeplechase.
"When I first woke up, it was kind of a panic because I didn't know what was going on and somebody was in my house shaking me," said one resident with whom we spoke.
The residents of these 12 apartment units say they lost everything after the fire ripped through their building at the Reserve at Steeplechase Apartments.
"I had to like carry my brothers out to that dumpster over there because they weren't waking up," said fire victim Justin Foster.
Residents say it was frightening watching everything burn up.
"I was just hoping it would stop before it came to my house," a young girl who lives at the complex said.
For this young girl, she says this is the second time her home has caught fire. This time though it is much worse.
"We had last summer, we had a house fire but it was only smoke damage," she said. "It hasn't been as bad as this and he's pretty shocked."
One firefighter was injured when the second story of a unit fell through. He was treated and is OK.
Luckily for the residents, fire investigators were able to locate everyone who lived there and make sure they were out of harms way.
The Red Cross is on the scene to help displaced residents.
Fire investigators say they believe a discarded cigarette is to blame for the fire.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Corvette driver killed by suspected drunk driver
- Fast food restaurant held up by armed suspects
- Oops! Noise complaint leads to drug bust
- Mom confesses to killing 3 young daughters
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side 18 min ago
- Jet makes emergency landing in Honolulu
- Pre-St. Pat's bash erupts into chaos
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Students learn science through unique course