Texas AG cracks down on unlicensed assisted living homes across Houston area
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The state says it wants Harris County to shut down three assisted living homes and is suing to make it happen. The state claims three homes in Cypress have already been closed for being unlicensed and unsanitary. But they say there are more in Katy.
According to court documents, one of those facilities was being operated inside of a home in a middle-class neighborhood. And it's just one of more than two dozen in and around the Houston area. Now, the attorney general wants Texas Home Health Care Center to stop all operations.
Neighbors saw plenty of action outside of a home on Wildcroft Drive.
"There had to have been more than 30 people living there," said a nurse and neighbor who identified herself only as Cindy.
Cindy showed us pictures of ambulances and vans, some dropping off people in stretchers.
The home, according the Texas attorney general, is an unlicensed assisted living facility under the name Texas Home Health Care Center.
The owners, Wellington, Florance and Jeremy Taylor, are now at the center of a state lawsuit. We tried to make contact with someone at the home, but two women inside would not answer our questions about what the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services found.
According a petition filed by the AG's office, there were complaints of residents living in unsanitary conditions, neglect of serious medical conditions of residents, failure to provide sufficient food, sleeping facilities, and bathing and toilet facilities for the number of residents in these facilities.
"Some of them the ambulance drops off and they just walk in," Cindy said.
Cindy says she saw patients walking the street at all hours of the day and night. Court documents now looking to shut down more than 15 of these types of unlicensed operations and keep more from popping up.
We reached out to the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services, and a spokeswoman there said it's not uncommon for the type of businesses to be in a residential area.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Man accused of leaving co-worker naked in ditch
- Cleveland ISD: Girl resisting officer hit with Taser
- 'Hero' bus driver saves girl from dog attack
- Woman accused of having sex with boy, 14
- Winning Mega Millions jackpot numbers drawn 24 min ago
- Special member of abc13 family passes away
- What's going to be built on Beacon Island?
- You can still save on Christmas gifts 14 min ago
- Boy, 6, suspended for kissing girl on hand
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy
- Senate and House leaders reach deal on budget agreement
- Mack Brown responds to reports of his resignation
- Beyonce fans line up outside Toyota Center
- Accused killer in custody after weeks on the run
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos