Texas AG cracks down on unlicensed assisted living homes across Houston area
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The state says it wants Harris County to shut down three assisted living homes and is suing to make it happen. The state claims three homes in Cypress have already been closed for being unlicensed and unsanitary. But they say there are more in Katy.
According to court documents, one of those facilities was being operated inside of a home in a middle-class neighborhood. And it's just one of more than two dozen in and around the Houston area. Now, the attorney general wants Texas Home Health Care Center to stop all operations.
Neighbors saw plenty of action outside of a home on Wildcroft Drive.
"There had to have been more than 30 people living there," said a nurse and neighbor who identified herself only as Cindy.
Cindy showed us pictures of ambulances and vans, some dropping off people in stretchers.
The home, according the Texas attorney general, is an unlicensed assisted living facility under the name Texas Home Health Care Center.
The owners, Wellington, Florance and Jeremy Taylor, are now at the center of a state lawsuit. We tried to make contact with someone at the home, but two women inside would not answer our questions about what the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services found.
According a petition filed by the AG's office, there were complaints of residents living in unsanitary conditions, neglect of serious medical conditions of residents, failure to provide sufficient food, sleeping facilities, and bathing and toilet facilities for the number of residents in these facilities.
"Some of them the ambulance drops off and they just walk in," Cindy said.
Cindy says she saw patients walking the street at all hours of the day and night. Court documents now looking to shut down more than 15 of these types of unlicensed operations and keep more from popping up.
We reached out to the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services, and a spokeswoman there said it's not uncommon for the type of businesses to be in a residential area.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side 32 min ago
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin 46 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman in freak accident
- Boy buried by avalanche tried to bite his way out
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Trooper's wife killed when his gun accidentally discharged
- Toddler uses Facetime to get help for mom
- Ukraine PM: Won't give up 'single centimeter'
- Corvette driver killed by suspected drunk driver