Texas City 8th graders found with new kind of meth on school campus
TEXAS CITY, TX (KTRK) -- Eighth graders are accused of having liquid meth in school. One of the many concerns is whether more young people are experimenting with this form of the drug.
Parents of Blocker Middle School students in Texas City couldn't believe it when they heard that six students had been caught with methamphetamine.
"That's not good at all," said parent Betty White. "That's not safe for any of the kids."
Grandmother Arlene Brown said, "You hear of addicts, but not a child that's 12 and 13 years old."
According to a spokesperson for Texas City ISD, someone suspected the six students, all girls, had taken some kind of drug. They were found with strange, small pieces of paper, wrapped in tinfoil.
"The Galveston County Sheriff's Department. did a test on small strips of paper, and it tested positive for liquid methamphetamine," said Texas City ISD spokesperson Melissa Tortorici.
Liquid methamphetamine is typically found in bottles, and has been found being smuggled over the border. The paper soaked in meth is new to the district.
"Of course, we're very concerned," said Tortorici. "This new liquid meth is turning out to be a new form of drug, and so it's an opportunity to inform our community."
The school district will be sending letters informing parents about what happened, and is also hoping to use the incident as a teaching moment for students.
"Drug awareness, bring it back into the school like it used to be," Brown suggested. "They're not talking about it like they used to."
The Galveston County Sheriff's Office is still investigating how the girls obtained the drug. The sheriff says this is the first time his office has seen methamphetamine in this form, in this area.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
texas city, local
- Man found shot to death in SE Houston home
- Cigarette blamed for Taco Bell fire in Katy
- Girls' softball league evicted from their field
- Robber dashes out of vision store with pricy shades
- Bear cubs get loose at Houston Zoo
- Residents on edge after Montgomery Co. flu deaths 47 min ago
- Chevron puts downtown Houston building plans on hold
- Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson off the show after gay remark
- East Texas company making healthcare affordable
- Video: Lovie Smith interviews with Texans 1 min ago
- Video: JJ Watt now a superhero 1 min ago
- Investigators: Driver drank cologne to hide alcohol smell
- Dozens of people injured in London theater collapse 39 min ago
- Jury reaches verdict in disputed Farrah Fawcett portrait
- Travis Herzog's Thursday forecast
6 min ago
- Lovie Smith interviews with Texans
1 min ago
- JJ Watt now a superhero
1 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos