Liberty County mom, aunt face charges after twin girls found nude in locked room
LIBERTY COUNTY, TX (KTRK) -- A mother and her sister are facing charges after officials say twin two-year-old girls were found locked in a room, nude and without food or sanitary bathroom facilities Saturday morning in Liberty County.
According to the Liberty County Sheriff's Office, 27-year-old Amy Castillo faces charges of abandonment/endangerment of a child. Castillo is the aunt of the twins. Investigators said charges are pending against the girls' mother, Brandy Dominguez, 20.
Just before 9am, LCSO Cpl. Michael Strait was called to meet federal probation officers to check on Dominguez as she is on pre-trial release for a human trafficking charge.
Dominguez was not at her home in the 200 block of County Road 2283 when they arrived, but Castillo reportedly allowed the officers to enter the home.
While there, deputies said they heard scratching coming from a door leading to a bedroom. With Castillo's permission, the double locked door was opened and the deputies found the twin girls in the room.
Officials said both were nude, and there was no food or toys in the room. According to Cpl. Strait, there was only one blanket on the floor and the room smelled strongly of human waste.
LCSO Capt. Ken DeFoor said the home was filthy and unsafe for the girls.
"The condition of the home as I was told by the deputy on the scene was deplorable; very dirty; fly infested. Kitchen was dirty, and the entire environment was one that two twin little girls should not be in."
An EMS crew was called out to the home and the girls were checked out. They were taken into CPS custody.
Please stay with Eyewitness News, abc13.com and our mobile news app for additional details.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Parts of Astrodome to be demolished 4 min ago
- Smoke prompts IAH Terminal B evacuations 48 min ago
- Mom killed in SW Houston; husband charged
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's powerful uncle
- Wrecker driver shot in NE Houston
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- Salvation Army ringer sets 105-hour record
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- North Texans dealing with ice storm aftermath
- Susan Boyle diagnosed with Asperger's
- Officials find 11 dead whales in Florida Keys
- Local post offices open Sundays for holiday rush 2 min ago
- No more ice, but cold weather continues