Two people fatally shot at southwest Houston sports bar
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Two people are dead this morning following a shooting at a bar in southwest Houston.
It happened on the back patio of Las Palmas Sports Bar on Ponderosa Lane at Consuela Drive near the Southwest Freeway.
Houston police said the bar is also an after-hours club, and the argument that led to the shooting started around 6am.
According to detectives, two men were playing cards in the patio area. Police think the gunman was friends with one of the card players, and he reportedly started arguing with the victim, whom his friend was playing against.
The victim said he didn't want any trouble, and another man tried to intervene. But the suspect still pulled a gun.
"For no apparent reason, he just started shooting," HPD Sgt. Richard Rodriguez said. "He shot the individual who was playing cards and the individual who was trying to intervene as well."
Both of those men were pronounced dead at the scene.
Detectives said the shooter ran out of the bar and took off with three other men. Officers didn't get a good description of their vehicles, and they are asking anyone with information about the shooting to call HPD Homicide or Crime Stoppers.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, simon gutierrez
- Man recovering after freak lawn-mowing accident 44 min ago
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston 11 min ago
- Key evidence recovered in double murder of Houston women 3 min ago
- Man allegedly seen on video during burglary charged
- It's Free Stuff Friday!
- Police: Man suffocated son so he could play video games
- SpaceX launches supplies to space station 25 min ago
- Easter on 4/20, pot holy day; pastors reach out 42 min ago
- University overstated fiscal health by some $23M 52 min ago
- Man avoids $525 fine for soda refill
- Two people inside parked car shot, one fatally
- Twin boys fight off carjacker in San Antonio