Two people fatally shot at southwest Houston sports bar
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Two people are dead this morning following a shooting at a bar in southwest Houston.
It happened on the back patio of Las Palmas Sports Bar on Ponderosa Lane at Consuela Drive near the Southwest Freeway.
Houston police said the bar is also an after-hours club, and the argument that led to the shooting started around 6am.
According to detectives, two men were playing cards in the patio area. Police think the gunman was friends with one of the card players, and he reportedly started arguing with the victim, whom his friend was playing against.
The victim said he didn't want any trouble, and another man tried to intervene. But the suspect still pulled a gun.
"For no apparent reason, he just started shooting," HPD Sgt. Richard Rodriguez said. "He shot the individual who was playing cards and the individual who was trying to intervene as well."
Both of those men were pronounced dead at the scene.
Detectives said the shooter ran out of the bar and took off with three other men. Officers didn't get a good description of their vehicles, and they are asking anyone with information about the shooting to call HPD Homicide or Crime Stoppers.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, simon gutierrez
- HPD: Homeless man kills armed burglar
- Couple accusing neighbor of recording their bedroom
- Bicyclist dies after Montrose-area hit-and-run
- Dr. accused of writing 'whore' on woman's mirror 54 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- 5 Things to Know for Today 46 min ago
- Texans vs. Jags on ABC13 Thursday night
- Officials: Texas teacher shot, killed in Benghazi 30 min ago
- Burning stolen truck missing $180,000 of tools
- Fast food workers plan to again protest wages 20 min ago
- Can you say this tongue twister?
- Boy accused of setting mall fire, two others
- SWAT standoff in SW Houston ends peacefully
- Steelers' coach slapped with six-figure fine 25 min ago