Two people fatally shot at southwest Houston sports bar
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Two people are dead this morning following a shooting at a bar in southwest Houston.
It happened on the back patio of Las Palmas Sports Bar on Ponderosa Lane at Consuela Drive near the Southwest Freeway.
Houston police said the bar is also an after-hours club, and the argument that led to the shooting started around 6am.
According to detectives, two men were playing cards in the patio area. Police think the gunman was friends with one of the card players, and he reportedly started arguing with the victim, whom his friend was playing against.
The victim said he didn't want any trouble, and another man tried to intervene. But the suspect still pulled a gun.
"For no apparent reason, he just started shooting," HPD Sgt. Richard Rodriguez said. "He shot the individual who was playing cards and the individual who was trying to intervene as well."
Both of those men were pronounced dead at the scene.
Detectives said the shooter ran out of the bar and took off with three other men. Officers didn't get a good description of their vehicles, and they are asking anyone with information about the shooting to call HPD Homicide or Crime Stoppers.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, simon gutierrez
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- More than two dozen hurt in musical stage collapse
- Toronto mayor mocked for daylight savings flub
- Amazing images from midair accident in Florida 48 min ago
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman in freak accident
- LA unanimously bans vaping in public places
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- Man dancing on power pole in lifted to...