Wrong way driver causes fatal accident on Katy Freeway
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Police say a driver going the wrong way on the Katy Freeway caused a deadly crash overnight.
Authorities tell us Brittini Kressin entered the freeway at the North Durham ramp driving the wrong way down the Katy Freeway at a high rate of speed.
According to police, Kressin was then involved in two accidents as she started traveling westbound in the eastbound lanes.
The first accident killed a passenger in the car that was struck. The 20-year-old woman, who's been identified as Claudia Ontiveros, was rushed to Memorial Hermann Northwest Hospital where she was pronounced dead. The male driver of the car had tried to swerve out of the way of the oncoming wrong way driver, but couldn't in time.
Police say immediately after the vehicles came to a stop, a motorcyclist crashed into Kressin's car, sending that man to the hospital with a broken leg.
"After the initial crash involving the fatality, both vehicles ended up at their final resting spots," said Sgt. Javier Tapia with the Houston Police Department. "The driver of the motorcycle crashed into the vehicle that was in violation that started the fatal crash, the Chevy Cavalier. He sustained a broken leg after being transferred to the hospital."
Kressin, 26, was transported to Memorial Hermann Hospital for minor injuries. She was taken into custody and then to jail after police say she was exhibiting signs of being intoxicated. She's charged with intoxication manslaughter.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston
- Vigil held for teen shot in girl's bedroom
- Suspect killed in home invasion in N. Harris Co.
- Frustration mounts for church members
- Raiders sign Texans' Antonio Smith
- Woman accused of punching 4-year-old, killing her
- Search continues for clues in women's murders
- Driver charged in deadly SXSW wreck
- Funny video from Jessica Willey's Colorado...
- Search for missing Malaysian jet expands
- Students, parents react after HISD vote
- Photos: Maroon 5 draws massive Rodeo crowd
- Richmond traffic stop leads to drug bust
- Pearland mom honored on 'Live with Kelly and Michael'