Man sentenced to 37 years in prison for fiery crash that killed Baytown teen
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A man convicted of leading police on a chase that ended with a deadly crash in Baytown is now headed to prison. He's been sentenced to 37 years behind bars. But family members of the victim who was killed say it's not enough.
That family, as well as prosecutors, were hoping to hear on Tuesday a sentence of life in prison. Instead, Shannon Chauncey will be heading to prison for 37 years.
He didn't show much emotion as his sentence was read, but he did appear to listen intently as the mother of the boy he killed spoke directly to him, basically begging him to turn his life around.
Chauncey was found guilty of the murder of 16-year-old Shawn Williams. Prosecutors say he also injured 17-year-old Shay Hollingshead, who is still recovering.
"Thirty-seven years? No, I think he should have gotten life," Hollingshead's father, Joe Hollingshead, said.
Prosecutors say Chauncey and his girlfriend were shoplifting, and while running from police, they crashed into a car the two teenagers were driving.
Investigators say they later found meth in Chauncey's vehicle.
"Nothing changes for my family. When they said guilty, when they said 37 years, my son didn't just miraculously reappear. That's not going to happen. His friends are still without a friend. His brother is still without a brother. His sister is still without a brother," Williams' mother, Pleshette Williams, said.
Williams' family has been in court every single day of this emotional trial.
Chauncey still faces two more charges in connection to this chase. Attorneys are expected to meet Wednesday to discuss how to proceed with these charges.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Sketch released in murder of two Houston women
- Teen leads police on high-speed chase
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- North Texas family holds out hope for loved one
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Information on price tags decoded
- Naked murder suspect caught on camera punching officer
- Sandy Hook shooter's dad wishes son was never born 25 min ago
- Shopping for a wireless plan? Check here first
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- Battery dead? Use the virtual smartphone
- Counterfeit health and beauty products arrests in NY
- Peru: Van der Sloot to be extradited to US in 2038
- Kansas City-area spelling bee finally ends!
- Travis Herzog's Monday weather forecast
47 min ago