Former cop accused of rape headed to prison
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A former Houston police officer accused of raping a woman while on duty agreed to a plea deal that will send him to prison.
Adan Carranza appeared in court Tuesday morning, where he pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of attempted sexual assault.
In June 2012, prosecutors say Carranza sexually assaulted a woman in the back of his patrol car. Investigators say he was taking the woman to jail for reckless driving.
As part of his plea deal, Carranza will serve 10 years in the Texas Department of Corrections. His defense attorney, Rocket Rosen says his client is trying to move on with his life.
"He's now taken responsibility by going off to the penitentiary for 10 years, and a convicted felon and a registered sex offender, so it's a harsh punishment, but he accepted it and we'll move forward," Rosen said.
"Peace officers are held to a higher standard. When they find themselves acting above the law, they need to know the district attorney's office, especially the civil rights division, will expend every resource to bring them to justice, whatever justice may be," said Assistant Harris County District Attorney Heyward Carter.
Carranza was taken into custody immediately after the court proceedings.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Burglary suspect watches sleeping toddler
- Thieves slash bank customer's tire, nab purse 11 min ago
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church
- Lottery dates for 2015 Houston marathon announced
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations
- Jumbo jet to move through streets of Clear Lake
- Suspect: 'My girl is about to rob the store'
- Marriage fraud conspiracy lands 4 in prison
- Man held up on his way home from bank
- Reward to nab Most Wanted sex offender climbs to $13K
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos