Sugar Land firefighters concerned about plan to shuffle resources
SUGAR LAND, TX (KTRK) -- Sugar Land city officials are considering taking over EMS services, and the move could potentially impact fire response.
The concerns are for citizen and firefighter safety. some are concerned that this proposal could spread firefighters too thin.
Fort Bend EMS right now responds to all medical calls in Sugar Land. With every ambulance, a fire truck is also dispatched, no matter the medical issue. But that's set to change as Sugar Land implements its own EMS service.
City leaders say the goal is to provide residents with better, faster service.
"We believe we should have a response time of eight minutes for 90 percent of all advance life support calls in Sugar Land," city of Sugar Land Spokesman Doug Adolph said.
How to change that is still being ironed out, and that's where some firefighters are concerned.
"They're not guaranteeing that they're gonna keep the same level of service that the citizens are currently receiving," said Keith Mensik with the Sugar Land Professional Firefighter's Association.
Mensik is worried about one proposal that would have the city hiring 11 firefighter/paramedics but moving another 11 off of fire trucks and into ambulances. He says that could mean fewer personnel on any single truck to handle fire fighting or rescues.
"I believe by reducing staffing on fire trucks that we are making it more unsafe," Mensik said.
The city says it is looking at that option: Reducing fire truck staffing levels from four to three at some stations. Some already have only three.
A city spokesperson says if there is a need for more fire crews, they would simply dispatch additional trucks.
It's worth noting that this is something the city is studying. No decision has yet been made on fire department staffing.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, kevin quinn
- Smash and grab burglar targets tattoo parlor
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe 7 min ago
- Thieves slash bank customer's tire, nab purse
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident
- Couple dead in apparent murder-suicide
- 'Real Housewives' star Porsha Williams arrested
- Chip in at Chipotle for Discovery Green
- Most insane job interview ever
- Texas town recovering, year after deadly blast 26 min ago
- No sew: Create Easter tutus on the cheap
- Firetruck plows into LA-area cafe; 15 hurt
- Robber who was homesick for prison to be sentenced
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church