Driver accused in deadly wrong way wreck makes tearful court appearance
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A woman who is suspected of being intoxicated and causing a deadly wrong-way crash had to face a judge.
Brittini Kressin is out on bond after posting $30,000 bail. But that was only after she promised a judge she would never get behind a wheel.
There was no comment, but plenty of tears from the woman police say caused a deadly car crash after driving the wrong way on the Katy Freeway. Kressin, 26, entered the freeway at the North Durham ramp and began driving westbound in the eastbound lanes, police say.
That's when police say she slammed into a Toyota at a high rate of speed, killing the passenger. Seconds later, she crashed into a motorcycle, injuring the rider. It took only minutes for police officers on the scene to suspect that she was drunk.
"He asked her where she was going, how she got there," said prosecutor Daniel Werlinger. "Her response was she didn't know how she got there."
During Wednesday's court appearance before a judge, we learned Kressin confessed to drinking only hours before the deadly accident.
"That she was at happy hour at Anvil Bar," Werlinger said. "That she then was going to meet a friend at Spaghetti Warehouse. That's where, basically, she does not recall what happens next. She just remembers being at the car crash."
"She's a wonderful human being," said Kressin's friend Robert Huery.
Friends who were with Kressin in court said she had recently overcome some personal issues, but had since turned her life around.
"It's really unfortunate, and it really tears everybody's heart when a loss of life occurs," Huery said. "Then somebody who's actually a good person is responsible for that life."
The victim, Claudia Ontiveros, 20, died at Memorial Hermann Northwest Hospital after the crash early Tuesday morning.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Bodies of two women found in Galveston County 37 min ago
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged 22 min ago
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home 10 min ago
- Shots fired during SW Houston restaurant robbery
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Prankster's good deed prank leads to tears of joy
- Video: Generous students get visit from big Texan
- Save during spring break with freebies
- Comic book banned because it mentions Allah
- ESPN: Johnny Football signs multi-year deal