Aunt accused of making boy bite sister appears in court
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A woman arrested in a bizarre child abuse case was in court Thursday morning. She's accused of making one child bite another.
Irene Gonzalez appeared before a judge and was free to go after posting a $5,000 bond.
The alleged incident happened back on September 24. According to police, a couple of teachers noticed something unusual on the seven-year-old's body. The little girl, we're told, had bruised bite marks on her arm and cuts on her back.
When asked how she got the wounds, the victim told her teachers that her younger brother hit her. She said her aunt, Irene Gonzalez, 37, was babysitting the siblings and told her five-year-old brother to bite her and cut her as punishment.
We spoke to the defendant's mother, and she says she stands by her daughter and this incident has been blown out of proportion.
"It was a misunderstanding," she said. "You know how we were raised. If he hits you, hit him back -- things like that, you know?"
Gonzalez has been ordered by the judge to stay away from the children. Their grandmother says the children are doing fine.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Sketch released in murder of two Houston women 27 min ago
- Teen leads police on high-speed chase
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- North Texas family holds out hope for loved one
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Information on price tags decoded
- Naked murder suspect caught on camera punching officer 48 min ago
- Shopping for a wireless plan? Check here first
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- Battery dead? Use the virtual smartphone
- Counterfeit health and beauty products arrests in NY
- Peru: Van der Sloot to be extradited to US in 2038
- Kansas City-area spelling bee finally ends! 31 min ago
- Why Malaysia Airlines jet might have disappeared