Aunt accused of making boy bite sister appears in court
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A woman arrested in a bizarre child abuse case was in court Thursday morning. She's accused of making one child bite another.
Irene Gonzalez appeared before a judge and was free to go after posting a $5,000 bond.
The alleged incident happened back on September 24. According to police, a couple of teachers noticed something unusual on the seven-year-old's body. The little girl, we're told, had bruised bite marks on her arm and cuts on her back.
When asked how she got the wounds, the victim told her teachers that her younger brother hit her. She said her aunt, Irene Gonzalez, 37, was babysitting the siblings and told her five-year-old brother to bite her and cut her as punishment.
We spoke to the defendant's mother, and she says she stands by her daughter and this incident has been blown out of proportion.
"It was a misunderstanding," she said. "You know how we were raised. If he hits you, hit him back -- things like that, you know?"
Gonzalez has been ordered by the judge to stay away from the children. Their grandmother says the children are doing fine.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Family scrambles to safety from burning home 22 min ago
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge
- Sketch released of suspect in brazen robbery
- Chase suspect crashes into tree in NW Houston
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- 5 Things to Know for Today 59 min ago
- 2 winning Mega Millions tickets sold
- Good Samaritan saves Christmas for foster child
- Suit: Risk of fire aboard Carnival's 'Triumph' known
- Man wanted in deadly W. Harris Co. shooting turns self in 25 min ago
- Delivery man hides present in trash...on trash day
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier
- Mystery illness kills 4 in Montgomery County 47 min ago
- Man victimized in 'knockout game' style attack