Victims in San Marcos love triangle mourned by families
SAN MARCOS, TX (KTRK) -- A love triangle turned deadly in San Marcos and two of the victims have ties to the Houston area. Police say a man shot his ex-girlfriend and her new boyfriend before driving off a cliff.
The murder of 22-year-old Hailey Nicholls and 27-year-old Jesse Robledo happened in San Marcos Thursday morning. Nicholls is from Kingwood and Robledo from San Antonio.
Police tell us the two were confronted at their apartment by Nicholls' ex-boyfriend, 23- year-old Daniel Brewster Stillwell of Houston. Police say Stillwell showed up there with a gun.
According to police, both Nicholls and Robledo were found shot in the head.
"The breakup between the ex-boyfriend and girlfriend -- between Stillwell and Nicholls -- was, to my understanding, very recent. It's about the best I can tell you for sure. But yeah, it's going to be a recent breakup issue," San Marcos Police Chief Howard Williams said.
For hours, police looked for Stillwell. According to police, he called his roommate and said he hurt his girlfriend. Before police could catch him, he drove his car off cliff in an area of Comal County known as Devil's Backbone.
After speaking with the family yesterday we learned Nicholls had an identical twin sister. Her mother told us her heart goes out to the other two families who are grieving right now as well.
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston
- Vigil held for teen shot in girl's bedroom
- Suspect killed in home invasion in N. Harris Co.
- Frustration mounts for church members
- Raiders sign Texans' Antonio Smith
- Woman accused of punching 4-year-old, killing her
- Search continues for clues in women's murders
- Driver charged in deadly SXSW wreck
- Funny video from Jessica Willey's Colorado...
- Search for missing Malaysian jet expands
- Students, parents react after HISD vote
- Photos: Maroon 5 draws massive Rodeo crowd
- Richmond traffic stop leads to drug bust
- Pearland mom honored on 'Live with Kelly and Michael'